Book reviews at the library?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a platform on Physics Forums where users can share and review science books. The Science Book forum is not suitable for this purpose, so the suggestion is to create a new category in the Library section under Learning Materials. The goal is to compile a database of recommended science books with reviews from PF users. The individual expressing this idea is willing to contribute to this project.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I've been making some blogs on suggestions for math books (I only have one blog up at the moment, but more should be coming), and somehow I feel that this is an aspect that is missing from PF.

To clarify: I would like a place in PF where we enter data for books and where everybody can then give their review on whether they liked the book or not, and what the problems were. That way, we can build a database filled with data of good science books and with reviews from PF-users.

I know about the Science book forum (https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21 ), but somehow I don't think that meets the purpose. I see the science book forum as a place where people can ask questions about which book they should read, etc. But not as a place to post reviews of books. Furthermore, the science book forum isn't alphabetically ordered like the library.

So, my suggestion is to extend the library so we can also discuss science books there. This shouldn't be too difficult: just creating a new category on math book, physics book, etc. should do the trick.

And yes: if such a functionality should exist, then I would certainly contribute to it.

I hope my post is clear enough :-p

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps a Library section in Learning Materials, simply add a Book Review under the appropriate LM section.

Related to Book reviews at the library?

1. What is the purpose of book reviews at the library?

Book reviews at the library serve as a way for patrons to learn more about specific books and make informed decisions on what to read. They also provide a platform for readers to share their thoughts and opinions on the books they have read.

2. Who writes the book reviews at the library?

Book reviews at the library are typically written by librarians, staff, and sometimes volunteers. They may also be contributed by patrons who have read and submitted their own reviews.

3. How can I access book reviews at the library?

You can access book reviews at the library by visiting the library's website, searching for a specific book, and clicking on the review tab. You can also find physical copies of book reviews in the library's book review section.

4. Are book reviews at the library reliable?

Book reviews at the library are typically reliable as they are written by trained professionals who have a deep understanding of literature. However, it is always important to consider the source and read multiple reviews to get a well-rounded understanding of a book.

5. Can I submit my own book review to the library?

Yes, many libraries welcome and encourage patrons to submit their own book reviews. Check with your local library for their submission guidelines and process.