Book recs please - complex analysis, riemann surfaces, multi-valued functions

In summary, the conversation is about finding a book that continues where "Theory of Functions" Vol. 1 & 2 by Konrad Knopp left off, specifically in the areas of multi-valued functions, Riemann surfaces, and 2-d polynomials. The ideal book should assume a working knowledge of graduate level complex analysis and algebra, but also be self-contained. Suggestions for books and internet resources are welcome. One possible recommendation is Hewitt/Stromberg's "Real And Abstract Analysis" or Miranda's "Algebraic Curves and Riemann Surfaces."
bb16
Hi everyone, hope this is the right place to put this :)

I have just finished "Theory of Functions" Vol. 1 & 2 by Konrad Knopp. I'd like to continue with a book that picks up where the second volume it left off. (Especially would be nice is a more "modern" book)

The second volume is about multi-valued functions, riemann surfaces, the analytic configuration given rise two by 2-d polynomials, etc.

Ideally, it would be a book that assumes a working comfort with graduate level complex analysis and algebra, but is somewhat self contained (i.e. doesn't expect complete mastery of, say, algebraic topology). I'm open to all suggestions though.

edit: links to internet resources would also be highly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Miranda's book Algebraic Curves and Riemann Surfaces might be what you are looking for.

Related to Book recs please - complex analysis, riemann surfaces, multi-valued functions

1. What is the best book for learning complex analysis?

There are many excellent books on complex analysis, but some popular ones include "Complex Analysis" by Lars Ahlfors, "Functions of One Complex Variable" by John Conway, and "Complex Variables and Applications" by James Brown and Ruel Churchill.

2. Can you recommend a book specifically on Riemann surfaces?

"Riemann Surfaces" by Simon Donaldson is a highly recommended book for learning about Riemann surfaces. Other popular options include "Riemann Surfaces" by Hershel Farkas and Irwin Kra, and "Riemann Surfaces" by Way Kuo.

3. Which book should I read to understand multi-valued functions?

"Multivalued Functions" by Lawrence Narici and Edward Beckenstein is a comprehensive book on multi-valued functions. Other options include "Multivalued Analysis and Nonlinear Programming Problems" by Bernard Cornet and George Leitmann, and "Theory of Multivalued Functions" by Anatoly Skorohod.

4. Is there a book that covers all three topics of complex analysis, Riemann surfaces, and multi-valued functions?

"Complex Analysis, Riemann Surfaces, and Multivalued Functions" by John Hubbard is a highly recommended book that covers all three topics. Other options include "Introduction to Complex Analysis and Riemann Surfaces" by George Cain and "Complex Analysis and Riemann Surfaces" by Daniel Bump.

5. Can you suggest a book for advanced study of complex analysis?

"Complex Analysis: A Modern First Course in Function Theory" by Carlos A. Berenstein is a popular choice for advanced study of complex analysis. Other options include "Complex Analysis" by Elias M. Stein and Rami Shakarchi, and "Complex Analysis" by Theodore W. Gamelin.