Book on multivariable calculus

In summary, the author is trying to find the answer to a question about integration by parts, but cannot seem to get it. He eventually solves it by substitution and identity, but states that it is the preferred method for parts integration.
brendan_foo
I am reading a book on multivariable calculus for my course and I have tried the question :

[tex]

\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} dx \int_{0}^{Sec(x)} y^3 dy

[/tex]

apparently the answer is 1/3..I have TRIED to get this answer... yet i cannot yield 1/3...help!

(anyone from the UK...I have a good A Level in maths {up to P3 for Pure and M3 for mechanics, grade A...i know iterated integrals but this one stumps me}...arse :))

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I worked it out and got 1/3. Show your work so that I can show you where you've gone wrong.

Are you using the formula

[tex]\int sec^n u = \frac{1}{n-1}tgu \ sec^{n-2}u+\frac{n-2}{n-1}\int sec^{n-2}udu[/tex]

?

Using this on [itex]sec^{4}x[/itex], I get 1/3 too.

Last edited:
quasar987 said:
Are you using the formula

[tex]\int sec^n u = \frac{1}{n-1}tgu \ sec^{n-2}u+\frac{n-2}{n-1}\int sec^{n-2}udu[/tex]

?

Using this on [itex]sec^{4}x[/itex], I get 1/3 too.

You can do the problem with integration by parts.

I have never seen that formula before ever :)...

naturally i established the first integral, and ended up with

[tex]

\frac{1}{4}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}sec^4 (x) dx
[/tex]
however beyond this i begin to lame up... doing it by parts usually ends up in misery and i usually end up going around in circles.

[tex]

\frac{1}{4}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}(sec^2 (x))(sec^2 (x)) dx
[/tex]

Would this suffice in the first instance, and take it from parts there on in..

BK Flamer :cry:

Last edited:
brendan_foo said:
I have never seen that formula before ever :)...

naturally i established the first integral, and ended up with

[tex]

\frac{1}{4}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}sec^4 (x) dx
[/tex]
however beyond this i begin to lame up... doing it by parts usually ends up in misery and i usually end up going around in circles.

[tex]

[/tex]

Would this suffice in the first instance, and take it from parts there on in..

BK Flamer :cry:

Yes. Set [tex]u=sec^2(x)[/tex] and [tex]dv=sec^2(x)dx[/tex]

You only have to do integration by parts this one time... continue, and tell us where you get stuck...

If sec is raised to an even power, you can simply do it using substitution and identities. That's how I did it, and also got 1/3. You're second step is correct, now let u=tan(x). Anything?

Doing it as we speak...hang on guys... :D

ok so I've said :

[tex]

u = \sec^2(x) \quad \quad
\frac{du}{dx} = 2\sec^2 (x) \tan(x) \quad \quad

\frac {dv}{dx} = sec^2 (x) \quad \quad
v = \tan (x)

[/tex]

So therefore, by parts, the integral {excluding constants and what not for simplicities sake}

[tex]

\int (sec^2 (x))(sec^2 (x)) dx = sec^2 (x)tan (x) - 2\int sec^2 (x) (tan^2 (x)) dx

[/tex]

Or have I made a right boob-up?

Last edited:
I believe you meant

[tex]
u = \sec^2(x)
[/tex]

But you derived it correctly, so I'll assume that was a typo. Otherwise, your setup looks right to me. I'm going to go ahead and post how I would have done it without integrating by parts, since parts seems to be the preferred method right now.

Last edited:
brendan_foo said:
ok so I've said :

[tex]

u = \sec(x) \quad \quad
\frac{du}{dx} = 2\sec^2 (x) \tan(x) \quad \quad

\frac {dv}{dx} = sec^2 (x) \quad \quad
v = \tan (x)

[/tex]

So therefore, by parts, the integral {excluding constants and what not for simplicities sake}

[tex]

\int (sec^2 (x))(sec^2 (x)) dx = sec^2 (x)tan (x) - 2\int sec^2 (x) (tan^2 (x)) dx

[/tex]

Or have I made a right boob-up?

Everything is correct. Just integrate [tex]sec^2(x)tan^2(x)dx[/tex]. Have a look at it for a while... hint: use the fact that [tex]sec^2(x)[/tex] is the derivative of [tex]tan(x)[/tex]

So i try to evaluate that other integral, by parts too... the :

[tex]
\int sec^2 (x) (tan^2 (x)) dx[/tex]

if someone would give me a guide as to how many times I am going to need to do this repeated parts thingy then I won't be so scared ;) :smile:

[tex]u = \tan^2(x) \quad \quad\frac{du}{dx} = 2\tan (x) \sec^2(x) \quad \quad\frac {dv}{dx} = sec^2 (x) \quad \quad v = \tan (x)[/tex]

Ok so far??...i still get the feeling that its not going to terminate anytime soon

Last edited:
brendan_foo said:
So i try to evaluate that other integral, by parts too... the :

[tex]
\int sec^2 (x) (tan^2 (x)) dx[/tex]

if someone would give me a guide as to how many times I am going to need to do this repeated parts thingy then I won't be so scared ;) :smile:

Not integration by parts here: I'll do a variable substitution here: let [tex]y=tan(x)[/tex] so [tex]dy=sec^2(x)dx[/tex] so, I can rewrite your integral as:

[tex]\int y^2dy[/tex]

which becomes

[tex](1/3)y^3=(1/3)tan^3(x)[/tex]

Oooh yeah! :D ha god dammit I am a fool... Could someone show it to me by parts too, cos it was that method that was murdering me.

:rolleyes: :-p

Without integrating by parts, using only a trig identity and variable substitution:

[tex]
=\frac{1}{4}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}(tan^2 (x)+1)(sec^2 (x)) dx
[/tex]

Letting [tex]u=tan(x); du=sec^2(x)dx[/tex]

We have
[tex]
\frac{1}{4}\int(u^2 +1)du
=\frac{1}{4}(\frac{1}{3}u^3 +u|
=(\frac{1}{12}tan^3 (x)+\frac{1}{4}tan(x)|_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}
=\frac{1}{3}
[/tex]

Seems easier to me.

Most definatly...

HOWEVER :D...

due to my sloppy notation and consumption of beer, i was missing out something that was so so simple.

After careful considering, i arrived at the integral :

[tex]

\frac{1}{4}(sec^2 (x) tan (x) - \frac{2}{3} tan^3 (x))

[/tex]

And when the limits are put in I do believe it yields 1/3...

I am therefore a boob! :smile:

t!m said:
Without integrating by parts, using only a trig identity and variable substitution:

[tex]
=\frac{1}{4}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}(tan^2 (x)+1)(sec^2 (x)) dx
[/tex]

Letting [tex]u=tan(x); du=sec^2(x)dx[/tex]

We have
[tex]
\frac{1}{4}\int(u^2 +1)du
=\frac{1}{4}(\frac{1}{3}u^3 +u|
=(\frac{1}{12}tan^3 (x)+\frac{1}{4}tan(x)|_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}
=\frac{1}{3}
[/tex]

Seems easier to me.

You're right! I didn't see the identity.

Last edited:
brendan_foo said:
I am therefore a boob! :smile:

That's alright. I'm a boob too! :rolleyes: Hopefully us boobs can still find the right answer going about it the hard way!

Thanks all who gave advice...much appreciate

Merry christmas all...

:biggrin: :biggrin: :smile:

Related to Book on multivariable calculus

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of more than one variable. It extends the concepts and techniques of single-variable calculus to functions with multiple independent variables, allowing for the analysis of more complex relationships between variables.

2. Why is multivariable calculus important?

Multivariable calculus is important because it is applicable to a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It allows for the analysis and optimization of complex systems with multiple variables, which is crucial in understanding and solving real-world problems.

3. What topics are covered in a book on multivariable calculus?

A book on multivariable calculus typically covers topics such as vectors and vector-valued functions, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and applications of multivariable calculus to physics and engineering problems.

4. Is multivariable calculus difficult to learn?

Like any other subject, the difficulty of learning multivariable calculus varies from person to person. However, it is generally considered to be more challenging than single-variable calculus due to the increased complexity of functions with multiple variables. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn multivariable calculus.

5. How can I prepare for learning multivariable calculus?

To prepare for learning multivariable calculus, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in single-variable calculus, including concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. It may also be helpful to review algebra and trigonometry. Additionally, having a solid understanding of vector algebra and geometry can make the transition to multivariable calculus easier.