Book for simple harmonic motion

In summary, it is recommended to look for books on introductory classical mechanics that cover linear oscillations and the general theory of small oscillations, such as Gregory's textbook or other similar resources. It may not be necessary to purchase a separate book solely on SHM.
Hamiltonian
sites or books for SHM high school and undergrad level. i want to understand SHM from the ground up and I am finding difficulty with my current sources

Physics news on Phys.org
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
sites or books for SHM high school and undergrad level. i want to understand SHM from the ground up and I am finding difficulty with my current sources
What are your current sources?

PeroK said:
What are your current sources?
I have books to prepare for JEE which arent very comprehensive and focus only on questions and not the concept.

Hamiltonian299792458 said:
I have books to prepare for JEE which arent very comprehensive and focus only on questions and not the concept.
Books, eh? Hmm!

PeroK said:
Books, eh? Hmm!
...?

I think it would be a waste of money to get a book just on SHM. Most books on introductory classical mechanics will have sections on linear oscillations as well as the general theory of small oscillations (e.g. stable equilibria, normal modes). I personally like Gregory's textbook, but there might be other good ones too.

Likes vanhees71 and Hamiltonian

Related to Book for simple harmonic motion

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. This means that the object will oscillate back and forth around the equilibrium position with a constant period.

2. What factors affect the period of a simple harmonic motion?

The period of a simple harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the motion. The period is directly proportional to the square root of the mass and inversely proportional to the square root of the spring constant. It is also independent of the amplitude.

3. How is simple harmonic motion represented mathematically?

Simple harmonic motion can be represented by the equation x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the initial phase angle.

4. What is the relationship between simple harmonic motion and energy?

In simple harmonic motion, the total energy of the system remains constant. This means that as the object oscillates back and forth, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy and vice versa, but the total energy remains the same.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some common examples of simple harmonic motion include the motion of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the motion of a mass attached to a spring. Other examples include the motion of a swing, the motion of a mass attached to a rubber band, and the motion of a tuning fork.