Bolt dimensions In plate bending

In summary, the conversation is about finding the shear forces and stress in bolts when a force is applied perpendicular to the plate. The person is interested in making the bolt diameter as small as possible and is looking for a way to calculate the force in this scenario. They are familiar with estimating bolt dimensions but need help finding the shear stress in this specific case.
srosendal
Hey

I have this plate, and as you can see it has 4 bolt connections and no other. When applying the load bending will occur in the plate. I am interested in making the diameter of bolt as small as possible. My problem is though that I only can see the shear forces in the plate.

How can I find the shear forces in the bolts ? (I guess these forces will be equal of the normal forces in the plate ??)

I am familiar with estimating bolt dimensions using shear force, but I am looking for a way to find the shear stress in the bolts, when in this case the applied force is perpendicular to the plate, hence in same direction as the bolts ...

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 449
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 444
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi

It is exactly that case I would like to calculate, but the thing is that I have to estimate the force P (from this example) from the force that I apply vertical on the plate (and not in the shear direction as in the example).

Related to Bolt dimensions In plate bending

What are "Bolt dimensions In plate bending"?

"Bolt dimensions In plate bending" refers to the specific measurements and sizes of bolts used in the process of bending or curving metal plates. This is an important consideration in structural engineering and construction projects.

Why are bolt dimensions important in plate bending?

Bolt dimensions are important in plate bending because they directly affect the structural integrity and strength of the bent metal plate. Using the correct bolt dimensions ensures that the plate can withstand the expected loads and stresses without failure.

What factors influence bolt dimensions in plate bending?

The key factors that influence bolt dimensions in plate bending include the type of metal being bent, the thickness of the metal plate, the desired degree of curvature, and the expected loads and stresses the plate will need to withstand.

How do you determine the appropriate bolt dimensions for plate bending?

The appropriate bolt dimensions for plate bending can be determined through calculations and analysis based on the factors mentioned above. It is important to consult with a structural engineer or use specialized software for accurate and safe bolt dimension selection.

What are the consequences of using incorrect bolt dimensions in plate bending?

Using incorrect bolt dimensions in plate bending can result in structural failure, which can lead to significant safety hazards and costly repairs. It can also compromise the overall structural stability and longevity of the construction project.