Boiling points and explanation

In summary, the compounds can be arranged in order of increasing boiling points as C2Cl6 < C2Br6 < C2I6 < C2F6. This is due to the presence of dipole-dipole forces in C2F6, which are stronger than the London forces present in the other compounds. The higher molar mass of C2F6 also contributes to its higher boiling point, as more energy is required to break the London dispersion forces. However, it should be noted that all of the compounds have skewed charge distributions due to the electronegativity differences between halogen and carbon atoms, and the molecular geometry should also be considered in this ordering.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Arrange compunds in order of increasing boiling points and explain why.
C2Br6,C2F6,C2I6,C2Cl6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have C2Cl6 < C2Br6 < C2I6 < C2F6

My explanation is as follows. C2F6 is highest because it has dipole dipole forces. Which are stronger then London forces. All the others just posse London forces. So I went by molar mass the heavier the more energy required to reach its boiling point ( to break the London dispersion force.)

Please let me know if I think OK.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think only C2F6 has dipole-dipole force. If you check the electronegativity of halogen versus carbon, I'm certain all of them has skewed charge distribution. But then consider again the geometry of the molecules, and check whether your conclusion is right because all of them is symmetrical in nature.

1. What is boiling point?

Boiling point refers to the temperature at which a liquid changes into its gaseous state. It is the temperature at which the vapor pressure of the liquid is equal to the atmospheric pressure.

2. How is boiling point determined?

Boiling point is determined by the strength of intermolecular forces in a liquid. The stronger the forces, the higher the boiling point will be. Other factors such as atmospheric pressure and altitude can also affect the boiling point.

3. What is the relationship between boiling point and pressure?

As pressure increases, the boiling point of a liquid also increases. This is because the increased pressure makes it more difficult for molecules to escape into the gas phase.

4. Why do different substances have different boiling points?

The boiling point of a substance is dependent on its molecular structure and intermolecular forces. Substances with stronger intermolecular forces will have higher boiling points compared to substances with weaker forces.

5. How does altitude affect boiling point?

As altitude increases, atmospheric pressure decreases. This leads to a decrease in the boiling point of a liquid. For example, water boils at a lower temperature at higher altitudes due to the lower atmospheric pressure.