Body thrown with v0 - find v0 that doubles prev max height

In summary: This is the ratio of the initial velocities needed to attain the same maximum height.Answer: If you want to double the maximum height attained, throw the body into the air with a velocity approximately 41.4% greater than you did the first time.In summary, the initial velocity needed to double the maximum height previously attained is approximately 41.4% greater than the initial velocity used to attain the first maximum height. This can be calculated by dividing the second initial velocity by the first initial velocity, which gives a ratio of √2 ≈ 1.414. This means that the second initial velocity should be approximately 1.414 times the first initial
physicsnnewbie

Homework Statement

A body is thrown into the air with an initial velocity of v0. What initial velocity is required to double the maximum height previously attained?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the max height v02/64 at v0 by solving for 't' in the velocity equation when 'v' = 0, and subbing that for 't' in the height equation and solving. I then multiplied this by 2 and set it to the height and tried to solve for v0 and ended up with v02 = -512t2 + 32tv0. I then solved for v0 and ended up with v0 = 16t. Do I need to somehow find 't' or did i stray off course somewhere and end up with the wrong answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi physicsnnewbie! :smile:

wouldn't it be easier to use the other constant acceleration equation, vf2 = vi2 + 2as ? :wink:

physicsnnewbie said:

Homework Statement

A body is thrown into the air with an initial velocity of v0. What initial velocity is required to double the maximum height previously attained?

Homework Equations

I found the max height v02/64 at v0 by solving for 't' in the velocity equation when 'v' = 0, and subbing that for 't' in the height equation and solving.

You were good up until here. Now, all you need to do is figure out what number you need to multiply v0 by in order to make the maximum height double.

in other words: find a constant C such that (Cv0)2/64=2(v02/64)

tim, I tried the formula you mentioned but couldn't obtain the correct answer. Maybe I did something wrong. Beaker, it took me a while to figure out your equation, because i kept reading it as CV02/64 = 2V02/64 without paying enough attention to the parenthesis and i was thinking doesn't c just equal 2? :p.

Tim's method also works, and may be of greater use to you in the future rather than the perhaps easier yet less universal method presented instead.

Under your initial condition of v0 yielding a height, h, and noting that at the maximum height, vf=0, you have v0^2=2*a*h (because you assume the displacement, h up, is in the positive direction, a is then negative). Then in the second case, you have a new velocity, C*v0 and a height 2*h. Working with the same idea and using the relationship you established in the first case, you can solve that as well.

physicsnnewbie said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I found the max height v02/64 at v0 by solving for 't' in the velocity equation when 'v' = 0, and subbing that for 't' in the height equation and solving. I then multiplied this by 2 and set it to the height and tried to solve for v0 and ended up with v02 = -512t2 + 32tv0. I then solved for v0 and ended up with v0 = 16t. Do I need to somehow find 't' or did i stray off course somewhere and end up with the wrong answer?

A quick way to get the answer. (I'll put some subscripts on the variables.)

You found that throwing some body vertically into the air with a velocity, v1,
will cause the body to attain a maximum height, h1, (which is the height of the body, when the velocity becomes zero).

Your solution was: h1 = v12/64, which is correct for a gravitational acceleration, g = 32 ft/s2.

Since you solved this for arbitrary initial velocity, it's true that in general that a maximum height, h = v2/64 will be attained by a body thrown up vertically with velocity, v.

Solve this equation for the launch velocity, v, needed for the body to attain a height, h, above the ground.

v = √(64 · h) = 8·√(h).

Specifically, v1 = 8·√(h1).

So if you want h2 = 2·h1, then :

v2 = 8·√(h2)

= 8·√(2·h1)​

To get a decent looking answer divide this equation by v1 = 8·√(h1).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Body thrown with v0 - find v0 that doubles prev max height

What is the meaning of "Body thrown with v0"?

"Body thrown with v0" refers to a physical object that is launched or thrown with an initial velocity, denoted as v0.

How do you find the initial velocity, v0, that doubles the previous maximum height?

To find the initial velocity, v0, that doubles the previous maximum height, you will need to use the equation h = v0^2*sin^2(theta)/2g, where h is the maximum height, theta is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. You can solve for v0 by plugging in the known values and using algebra to solve for v0.

Can you use any launch angle to double the previous maximum height?

No, you cannot use any launch angle to double the previous maximum height. The launch angle, theta, must be chosen carefully in order to achieve the desired result. In general, a launch angle close to 45 degrees will result in the maximum possible height for a given initial velocity.

How does air resistance affect the initial velocity needed to double the previous maximum height?

Air resistance can affect the initial velocity needed to double the previous maximum height by slowing down the object as it travels through the air. This means that a higher initial velocity may be needed to overcome the effects of air resistance and achieve the desired result.

Can you use this equation to find the initial velocity for any object thrown with an initial velocity?

No, this equation is specifically for finding the initial velocity, v0, that doubles the previous maximum height. It cannot be used for any other purpose. Different equations and methods may be needed to find the initial velocity for other scenarios.