Bob's Relativistic Velocity Addition: 0.9c for Alice & Charlie

In summary, Bob is floating in deep space with two powerful cannons that shoot his friends Alice and Charlie in opposite directions at 0.9c. Bob can only look at one friend at a time, making him feel secure that no one is traveling faster than the speed of light. However, Alice and Charlie would see themselves receding from each other at 1.8c due to the relativistic velocity addition formula. Bob wonders if he can shoot his friends out at 0.9c relative to each other without them seeing it this way, and the answer is yes according to the velocity-addition formula.
DiracPool
My name is Bob. I'm floating in deep space and I have these two powerful cannons that shoot my friends Alice and Charlie in opposite directions to me, one to the left and one to the right. I shoot each out at 0.9c. As I look to the left, I see that Alice is flying away from me at 0.9c. Then I turn to the right and see Charlie is also flying away from me at 0.9c. So I'm feeling pretty secure because I'm thinking, well, since I can only look at one at a time, nobody here is traveling faster than c. But then I think, well, Alice and Charlie are probably looking at each other here, and they must see themselves receding from each other at 1.8c. But then I'm thinking that there's some relativistic velocity addition thing going on between Alice and Charlie that I'm not privy too whereby they see themselves as traveling at less than c relative to each other.

Do I have this correct? Can I shoot out my friends out at 0.9 c relative to each other in opposite directions and see it this way without them seeing it this way?

Physics news on Phys.org
DiracPool said:
Can I shoot out my friends out at 0.9 c relative to each other in opposite directions and see it this way without them seeing it this way?
Yes.

Friends who shoot friends aren't good friends.
Anyway, just use that equation, and they'll never be superluminal.

It doesn't matter if you can see them both at the same time or not; it's easy to modify your scenario so that you see them fly past each other. In fact it has little to do with what you or they literally see.
Apart of that, yes you use the velocity transformation formula to calculate how each would measure the speed of the other if they set up a standard reference system in which they themselves are considered to be in rest.

Related to Bob's Relativistic Velocity Addition: 0.9c for Alice & Charlie

What is Bob's Relativistic Velocity Addition?

Bob's Relativistic Velocity Addition is a formula that allows for the calculation of the relative velocity between two objects moving at high speeds in different directions.

How does the formula work?

The formula takes into account the principles of special relativity, specifically the concept of time dilation and length contraction, to accurately calculate the relative velocity between two objects.

Why is the velocity addition different for Alice and Charlie?

The velocity addition is different for Alice and Charlie because they are moving in opposite directions. The formula takes into account the direction of motion and adjusts the calculation accordingly.

What is the value of 0.9c in the formula?

In this formula, 0.9c represents the velocity of Alice or Charlie relative to the speed of light. This value is significant because it is very close to the maximum speed possible in the universe.

How is this formula useful in scientific research?

This formula is useful in studying and understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds, such as in space exploration or particle physics. It allows scientists to accurately calculate and predict the relative velocities of moving objects, which is crucial in many areas of research.