Blood Pressure taken at different heights (No calculations involved)

In summary, when measuring blood pressure, the jacket must be held at the level of the heart in order to get an accurate reading. This is because changes in height can affect the pressure reading due to the equation P = ρgh. If the jacket is held below the heart, the pressure reading will be higher, and if it is held above the heart, the pressure reading will be lower. This is because the blood pressure being measured is the pressure on the veins/arteries caused by the heart pumping blood, and changes in height can affect this pressure.
FollowTheFez

Homework Statement

When blood pressure is measured, why must the jacket be held at the level of the heart?
I don't quite understand the answer given.

The Attempt at a Solution

It's obvious that if the the height changes the pressure reading will change due to P=ρgΔh, thus giving a 'false' reading when it's blood pressure from the heart that we are wanting to know.
I thought that if the jacket if lower than the heart, then the pressure reading will be lower.
And if the jacket if higher than the heart, then the pressure reading will be higher

Just taking some random numbers here for an example,
P= ρgh
P= (1.05x10^3) x 9.8 x 2
P= 20580 Pascals compared to...

P= ρgh
P= (1.05x10^3) x 9.8 x 3
P= 30870 Pascals

However the answer in book says that if the jacket is lower, then blood pressure will be higher and vice versa without giving an explanation and I can't work out why this is. It doesn't seem logical to me. Can someone please explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Now think about what would happen if you 1) had your arm hanging down by your side 2) stuck your arm straight up in the air.

In the first scenario, if you took your blood pressure it would be like having the "jacket" be below your heart level, and for the second scenario it is like having the "jacket" above your heart.
Also, the blood pressure I am assuming we are talking about is the pressure on the veins/arteries caused by the heart pumping blood.

Ok, now in scenario 1. If you can imagine the blood in your arm circulating. If you measure the blood pressure of your arm, you are not measuring only the pressure due to your heart pumping, but also the pressure of the blood above where you are measuring from (given by rho g h). This will make the pressure reading greater than what it truly is.

For scenario two, there is the pressure from your heart, but gravity is pulling blood from your arms to lower in your body, which causes lower pressure.

I hope that makes sense. Also, I have pretty much no biological knowledge, so don't take what I say for fact, just my guess.

Also, I think the equation normally reads P = - rho*g*delta h

Related to Blood Pressure taken at different heights (No calculations involved)

1. What is blood pressure?

Blood pressure is the force that blood exerts on the walls of your blood vessels as it is pumped through your body. It is measured in millimeters of mercury (mmHg) and is recorded as two numbers: systolic pressure (the top number) and diastolic pressure (the bottom number).

2. How is blood pressure taken?

Blood pressure is typically measured using a blood pressure cuff and a sphygmomanometer. The cuff is wrapped around your upper arm and inflated to temporarily stop the flow of blood. The pressure is then released and the healthcare provider uses a stethoscope to listen for the sound of blood flowing through your arteries. The measurement is recorded as the pressure at which the sound is first heard (systolic pressure) and the pressure at which the sound disappears (diastolic pressure).

3. Can blood pressure vary at different heights?

Yes, blood pressure can vary at different heights due to gravitational forces. When standing, blood has to work against gravity to flow from your feet to your heart, causing a slight increase in blood pressure. Conversely, when lying down, blood doesn't have to work against gravity, resulting in a lower blood pressure reading.

4. How does altitude affect blood pressure?

At higher altitudes, the air is thinner and contains less oxygen, causing your heart to work harder to supply your body with oxygen. This can lead to an increase in blood pressure. However, your body can adapt to the lower oxygen levels over time, so the effect on blood pressure may decrease with prolonged exposure to high altitudes.

5. Why is it important to take blood pressure at different heights?

Taking blood pressure at different heights can provide valuable information about how your body responds to changes in position. It can also help identify any potential issues with blood pressure regulation, such as orthostatic hypotension (a drop in blood pressure when standing up) or hypertension (high blood pressure). Additionally, it can be helpful for tracking changes in blood pressure over time and assessing the effectiveness of treatment for blood pressure-related conditions.