Block on Plane with Friction in strange coordinate system

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass m sliding down an inclined plane with initial velocity v and friction coefficient mu. The goal is to find T, the time it takes for the block to come to a rest due to friction. By using coordinates with y vertical and x horizontal, the equations F=ma and f=(mu)n can be used to solve for T.
lordkelvin

Homework Statement

A block of mass m slides down a plane inclined at an angle theta with initial velocity v down the slope and with friction coefficient mu. Find T, the time in which the block comes to a rest due to friction. Use coordinates with y vertical and x horizontal.

Homework Equations

F=ma
f=(mu)n

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \vec{v} = v \cos\theta \hat{x} - v \sin\theta \hat{y} [/tex]

[tex] \\vec{\\F}_{w} = - m g \hat{y} \\ [/tex]

[tex] \vec{f} = - \mu mg \cos^{2}\theta \hat{x} + \mu m g \cos(\theta)\sin(\theta)\hat{y } \\ [/tex]

[tex] \ddot{x} = - \mu g \cos^{2}(\theta) \\ [/tex]

[tex] \dot{x} = - \mu g \cos^{2}(\theta) t + v\cos(\theta) \\ [/tex]

[tex] \ddot{y} = \mu g \cos(\theta)\sin(\theta) - g \\ [/tex]

[tex] \dot{y} = ( \mu g \cos(\theta)\sin(\theta) - g ) t - v \sin\theta \\ [/tex]

Now I should be able to set either y dot or x dot equal to zero and get T, right?
The answer I'm getting doesn't agree with the answer I got with the x-axis down the plane and the y-axis perpendicular to the plane. The answer I get in this way is

[tex] T = \frac {v_{0}}{g (\mu \cos \theta - \sin \theta)}[/tex]

I hope this works; I've never used latex before.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't get my latex fixed. Anyway, 'mu' should be a mu in the x dot equation, and the T equation shouldn't appear up top, instead it should say the force due to weight is minus mg in the y hat dir.

and v should end after the \\

Related to Block on Plane with Friction in strange coordinate system

1. What is a block on a plane with friction in a strange coordinate system?

A block on a plane with friction in a strange coordinate system refers to a physical scenario where a block is placed on a flat surface with friction and the motion of the block is described using a coordinate system that is not aligned with the traditional x and y axes.

2. How is friction accounted for in this scenario?

In this scenario, friction is accounted for by including a frictional force in the equations of motion. This force is typically proportional to the normal force between the block and the surface, and its direction is opposite to the direction of motion of the block.

3. What are the key factors that affect the motion of the block in this scenario?

The key factors that affect the motion of the block in this scenario include the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface, the angle of the surface, and the initial velocity and position of the block.

4. How does the presence of a strange coordinate system affect the analysis of this scenario?

The presence of a strange coordinate system does not affect the analysis of the scenario as long as the equations of motion are appropriately modified to account for the non-traditional axes. The physical principles and laws governing the motion of the block remain the same.

5. Can this scenario be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, this scenario can be applied to real-life situations such as objects sliding down an inclined plane or cars driving on curved roads. In these cases, the motion of the objects can be described using a coordinate system that is aligned with the direction of motion or the shape of the surface.