Bloch Sphere and the 3-sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the mapping between the unit 3-sphere and the complex projective line in a two-level quantum system. The normalization condition implies that two-level states can be described as occupying the 3-sphere or the Bloch sphere. The question arises of how to map between the two geometric objects, and it is suggested that the map removes the global phase term. This is related to the concept of Hopf fibrations and the equivalence relation between two-level states. Overall, the mapping is a purely mathematical concept and has no intrinsic quantum mechanical meaning.
Kreizhn
I'm having a bit of a brain fart here, so hopefully someone can help.

Consider a closed, two-level quantum system. We know we can describe pure states as
[tex] \alpha |0\rangle + \beta |1 \rangle [/tex]
for some orthonormal basis [itex] |0\rangle, |1 \rangle [/itex]. The normalization conditions means we can associate this space with the unit 3-sphere
[tex] S^3 = \left\{ (z_1,z_2) \in \mathbb C^2 : |z_1|^2 + |z_2|^2 = 1 \right\} [/tex]

Now on the other hand, we also use the Bloch sphere to describe such states, where geometrically the Bloch sphere is just [itex] \mathbb{PC}^1[/itex] the complex projective line.

So I'm wondering, how do we map [itex] S^3 \to \mathbb{PC}^1 [/itex] quantum mechanically? What does this map look like? Is this occurring because we're throwing away the global phase in our transition to the Bloch sphere?

Something is telling me that Hopf fibrations are important here, but I just can't seem to put two and two together.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't studied this in detail, but this is my understanding. Since [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{C}^1[/itex] are isomorphic, so are their projective spaces [itex]\mathbb{PC}^1[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{PR}^2[/itex].

Now, since the Hilbert space of states is a projective space, the state space of any two-state system will also be isomorphic to these. There is nothing inherently quantum mechanical about the map from one to the other. This is pure mathematics.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Espen.

I agree entirely, though perhaps I was unclear in what I meant. The normalization condition alone implies that the two-level states occupy the 3-sphere. Similarly we can view two-level states as occupying the Bloch sphere. These are inherently different geometric objects. I want to know what the mapping [itex] S^3 \to \mathbb{PC}^1 [/itex] looks like, and what it means physically.

Now, I think that physically, the map is removing the global phase term. That is, define the relation
[tex] |\psi_1 \rangle \sim |\psi_2 \rangle \qquad \Leftrightarrow \qquad \exists \phi \in [0,2\pi), |\psi_1 \rangle = e^{i\phi} |\psi_2 \rangle. [/tex]
This is easily reflexive, transitive, and symmetric, so it's an equivalence relation. Then
[tex] \mathbb{PC}^1 \cong S^3/\sim. [/tex]
To me, this looks like a Hopf fibration since we've quotiented circle fibres from each element. However, I'm not sure if this is correct.

Related to Bloch Sphere and the 3-sphere

1. What is a Bloch Sphere?

A Bloch Sphere is a visual representation of the quantum state of a qubit, which is the basic unit of quantum information. It is a three-dimensional sphere with the north and south poles representing the two possible states of the qubit, usually denoted as |0⟩ and |1⟩. The points on the surface of the sphere represent all the possible superposition states of the qubit.

2. How is the Bloch Sphere related to the 3-sphere?

The Bloch Sphere is a special case of the 3-sphere, which is a three-dimensional hypersphere. The Bloch Sphere is a subset of the 3-sphere, representing the quantum states of a qubit. The north and south poles of the Bloch Sphere correspond to the equator of the 3-sphere, while the points on the surface of the Bloch Sphere correspond to the points on the surface of the 3-sphere.

3. What is the significance of the Bloch Sphere in quantum computing?

The Bloch Sphere is a useful tool for visualizing and understanding the behavior of quantum systems, specifically qubits. It allows us to represent and manipulate quantum states geometrically, making it easier to analyze and design quantum algorithms. The Bloch Sphere also helps in understanding the concept of quantum entanglement, which is crucial in many quantum computing applications.

4. Can the Bloch Sphere be extended to represent more than one qubit?

Yes, the concept of the Bloch Sphere can be extended to represent multiple qubits. In this case, the Bloch Sphere becomes a higher-dimensional hypersphere, with each qubit represented as a point on the surface of the sphere. The state of the entire system can be represented as a point in this higher-dimensional space, with each point corresponding to a unique quantum state.

5. How is the Bloch Sphere used in quantum error correction?

Quantum error correction is a crucial aspect of quantum computing, as quantum systems are prone to errors due to their sensitivity to external noise. The Bloch Sphere is used in quantum error correction to visually represent and analyze the effects of errors on the quantum state of a qubit. This allows us to design error correction codes and strategies to protect quantum information from errors and maintain the integrity of quantum computations.