Blizzard Changes Course, Integrates Real Money Trading Into Diablo III

In summary, Blizzard has integrated real money trading into Diablo III in order to fight against the scourge of gold farming and power leveling. This change has sparked a number of unintended consequences, such as botting and ebay auctions of in-game characters.
If you’re a hardcore player of World of Warcraft, you know how stringently its parent company, Blizzard, has fought to keep the spectre of real money trading (RMT) from corrupting the game. *Gold farming and power leveling were/are scourges of … http://virtualnavigator.wordpress.com/2011/08/28/blizzard-changes-course-integrates-real-money-trading-into-diablo-iii/" http://stats.wordpress.com/b.gif?host=virtualnavigator.wordpress.com&blog=11498882&post=663&subd=virtualnavigator&ref=&feed=1

Read More...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow...that's something I never thought they'd have the guts to do...I wonder how people are going to react to this!

WOW and some other MMORPG's are interesting even though I have zero interest in playing. All sorts of unexpected and unintended side effects have appeared.

From a simple change to one character that alters many aspects of the entire game, to social consequences like selling runescape gold and accounts and diablo characters on ebay. There is an industry in China, I'm told, exemplified by this:

http://www.inwowgold.com/power-leveling/
These guys pay someone to play a WOW character to a high level. Then, I assume, an otherwise inept or lazy gamer forks over money and voila! here is a high level character to play.

-- sorry for the digression.

Greg Bernhardt said:
If you’re a hardcore player of World of Warcraft, you know how stringently its parent company, Blizzard, has fought to keep the spectre of real money trading (RMT) from corrupting the game. *Gold farming and power leveling were/are scourges of

If you click on the first link and you are told that you are the 1,000,000 th visitor it's probably not a good idea to click on the popup link.

LaurieAG said:
If you click on the first link and you are told that you are the 1,000,000 th visitor it's probably not a good idea to click on the popup link.

Sometimes it really is. I make a living of these real money prizes there :)
Back to topic. What is really annoying with Diablo are the many bots that almost ruin the game.

Related to Blizzard Changes Course, Integrates Real Money Trading Into Diablo III

1. What is the reason behind Blizzard's decision to integrate real money trading into Diablo III?

Blizzard made this decision in order to provide a secure and legitimate way for players to buy and sell in-game items and currency, as well as to generate revenue for the company.

2. How will the real money trading system work in Diablo III?

Players will be able to buy and sell in-game items and currency through a secure auction house system using real money. Blizzard will also take a small transaction fee for each sale.

3. Will this change affect gameplay in any way?

No, the integration of real money trading will not affect gameplay. It is simply an addition to the game's existing mechanics.

4. Is there a limit to how much real money can be spent or earned through the trading system?

Yes, there will be limits in place to prevent excessive spending or earning of real money within the game. These limits will be determined by the region and currency of the player.

5. What measures will Blizzard take to ensure the security of players' real money transactions?

Blizzard has implemented various security measures, such as encryption and fraud detection, to protect players' real money transactions. They also have a team dedicated to monitoring and addressing any issues that may arise.