BJT emitter degeneration problem

• Thread starter likephysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bjt
In summary, at low currents, R1 is relatively insensitive to changes in Re, due to the biasing of Ib. However, when Re increases, Vbe and Ib must also increase to maintain the same Vbe. The revised value of IC makes little difference to Vbe.
likephysics

Homework Statement

a)Find R1
b)Find the change in IC if Re varies by 5%.
Given:
Ic = 0.25mA
β=100
(see attached ckt)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ic=0.25mA, Ib=0.0025mA
Vbe = 0.6956V
Ie=Ic+Ib = 0.2525mA
Re = 200*0.2525 = 50.5mV

Found R1 by applying KCL at base.
(Vcc-Vbe-Vre)/R1 = (Vbe+Vre)/10k + Ib
R1=22.75K

For part b) Re be +5% = 210 ohms
Vre = 210*Ie= 53mV
Is this even correct, I took the old Ie. What next?
I can't use any equations having Vbe or Ib since they change with increase in Vre.

Attachments

• bjt re.png
    bjt re.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 604
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

likephysics said:
Ic=0.25mA, Ib=0.0025mA
Vbe = 0.6956V
Ie=Ic+Ib = 0.2525mA
Re = 200*0.2525 = 50.5mV

Found R1 by applying KCL at base.
(Vcc-Vbe-Vre)/R1 = (Vbe+Vre)/10k + Ib
R1=22.75K
How did you determine Vbe = 0.6956V? For such low currents, I would have used 0.6v. It's simply a case of going with 0.7 or 0.6, usually. But the difference is not very important.

For part b) Re be +5% = 210 ohms
Vre = 210*Ie= 53mV
Is this even correct, I took the old Ie.
Well, you can't use the old IE. You know that is going to change.
You know everything about the circuit biasing except IB. So form a couple of equations in a similar way to how you did before and solve for IB. This time you know R1, and the only unknown is IB.

NascentOxygen said:
How did you determine Vbe = 0.6956V? For such low currents, I would have used 0.6v. It's simply a case of going with 0.7 or 0.6, usually. But the difference is not very important.
Ic is given, so I used Vbe = Vt ln (Ic/Is).

Well, you can't use the old IE. You know that is going to change.
You know everything about the circuit biasing except IB. So form a couple of equations in a similar way to how you did before and solve for IB. This time you know R1, and the only unknown is IB.

Well, to find Ib, I have to assume Vbe. can I assume the old Vbe (0.695)?

likephysics said:
Well, to find Ib, I have to assume Vbe. can I assume the old Vbe (0.695)?
I think it is perfectly reasonable to make that assumption, but you should be guided by worked examples that you have done in class. The usual justification is that the circuit is going to be constructed using preferred value resistors, anyway, and on top of this, they typically have a 5% tolerance. (Yes, I did look askance at the 3kΩ collector resistor, and wonder about preferred values ...)

If you do make the assumption that Vbe barely changes (to avoid having to use numerical techniques to arrive at the 'solution'), you can always go back to the Vbe log equation and demonstrate that the revised value of IC makes little difference to Vbe.

At such low currents, I still think 0.7v is a bit high, maybe 0.65 is more realistic.

Related to BJT emitter degeneration problem

What is BJT emitter degeneration?

BJT emitter degeneration is a technique used in the design of bipolar junction transistor (BJT) circuits. It involves adding a resistance in series with the emitter of the transistor, which helps to stabilize the circuit and improve its performance.

Why is BJT emitter degeneration used?

There are several reasons why BJT emitter degeneration may be used. One reason is to provide negative feedback, which helps to reduce distortion and improve linearity in the circuit. Another reason is to stabilize the operating point of the transistor, making the circuit less sensitive to variations in temperature and transistor parameters.

How does BJT emitter degeneration affect gain?

BJT emitter degeneration reduces the gain of a circuit. The amount of reduction depends on the value of the emitter resistance, with higher resistance resulting in greater reduction in gain. However, this reduction in gain is often desirable as it helps to improve linearity and stability of the circuit.

What are the different types of BJT emitter degeneration?

There are two main types of BJT emitter degeneration: voltage degeneration and current degeneration. Voltage degeneration involves using a resistor in series with the emitter, while current degeneration involves using a current source in parallel with the emitter. Both methods have their own advantages and are used in different types of circuits.

What are the limitations of BJT emitter degeneration?

BJT emitter degeneration can help to improve the performance of a circuit, but it also has some limitations. One limitation is that it reduces the voltage gain of the circuit. In addition, it may introduce additional noise into the circuit. Careful consideration must be given to the value of the emitter resistance to balance the trade-offs between improved linearity and reduced gain.