Why does emitter degeneration create negative feedback?

• Thread starter likephysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bjt
In summary, emitter degeneration is a technique where an emitter resistor is added in parallel with the VBE junction in a transistor circuit. This allows for negative feedback, where an increase in collector current causes a decrease in VBE, stabilizing the operating point of the transistor. This is why it is called negative feedback, and it can help to prevent changes in collector current.
likephysics
I'm trying to understand emitter degeneration.
Instead of the entire input applied across just the VBE junction, it is now applied across the VBE junction plus an emitter resistor RE.
So when collector current increases, some additional voltage is dropped across RE, so that voltage across VBE does not increase by a lot.
Let's say Ic is 1mA, RE is 1k. Voltage across RE is 1v, VBE is 0.650v
Now Ic increases by say 10% (due to beta change or whatever), Ic=1.1mA, Voltage across RE is 1.1v, what's VBE? How do I calculate VBE.
I don't understand why it's called negative feedback.
Anything that reduces collector current is called negative feedback?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your figures provide some indication of what will happen.
Your 1.1volt increase due to an increase in collector current suggests that Vbe would decrease to 0.55V.
This tendency of Vbe to decrease will tend to make the collector current DECREASE.
i.e the emitter resistor tends to prevent changes in collector current.
This is what negative feedback means and it a way of stabilizing the operating point (bias) of the transistor

likephysics said:
I'm trying to understand emitter degeneration.
Instead of the entire input applied across just the VBE junction, it is now applied across the VBE junction plus an emitter resistor RE.
So when collector current increases, some additional voltage is dropped across RE, so that voltage across VBE does not increase by a lot.
Now Ic increases by say 10% (due to beta change or whatever), Ic=1.1mA, Voltage across RE is 1.1v, what's VBE? How do I calculate VBE.
I don't understand why it's called negative feedback.
Anything that reduces collector current is called negative feedback?

First, it is Ie that you need to look at, not Ic. Ic is only the result of Ie.

Vbe vary logarithmilly with current, that is: [itex] ΔV_{BE}= V_T\;ln(\frac {I_{E1}}{I_{E2}})\;[/itex] where VT is about 25mV at 25 degree C. As you can see, going from 1mA to 2mA only increase the Vbe by about 25mV!

You can see if you increase emitter current by only 10%, the change [itex] ΔV_{BE}\;[/itex] is very small. So just consider it unchanged compare to the voltage across the emitter resistor.

The easiest way to see it is realize you have a voltage divider between Vbe and Re. Increasing current increases the drop across Re so you have reduced Vbe. Reduced Vbe, from the diode equation, means you've reduces the minority carrier injection into the base region which decreases Ic which decreases Ie (Ie=Ic+Ib). Ergo: negative feedback loop.

likephysics said:

For all these calculations you have to assume Vb is fixed.
So using the data from the first point: Vb = V(RE)+VBE=1V+0.65V=1.65V.

For the case where Ic increases to 1.1mA we use the same equation:

Vb = V(RE) + VBE -> 1.65 = 1KΩ*1.1mA + VBE -> VBE =0.55V

Notice VBE, the control signal, decreased for an increasing output signal, Ic. This is negative feedback. Consequently, the decreasing VBE will reduce Ic correcting for the disturbance.

Related to Why does emitter degeneration create negative feedback?

1. What is BJT emitter degeneration?

BJT emitter degeneration is a technique used in electronic circuit design to improve the performance and stability of bipolar junction transistors (BJTs). It involves the addition of an external resistor in series with the emitter terminal of the BJT.

2. Why is BJT emitter degeneration used?

BJT emitter degeneration is used to limit the amount of current flowing through the BJT, thus reducing the gain of the transistor. This helps to improve the linearity, stability, and overall performance of the circuit.

3. How does BJT emitter degeneration affect the input and output characteristics of a BJT?

Emitter degeneration increases the emitter resistance, which in turn decreases the input impedance of the BJT. This reduces the gain of the transistor and also improves its linearity. On the output side, emitter degeneration increases the output impedance of the BJT, making it less sensitive to changes in load resistance.

4. What are the different types of emitter degeneration?

There are two main types of emitter degeneration: voltage degeneration and current degeneration. Voltage degeneration involves the use of a resistor in series with the emitter terminal, while current degeneration involves the use of a resistor in parallel with the emitter terminal.

5. What are the advantages of using BJT emitter degeneration?

The main advantages of BJT emitter degeneration include improved linearity, stability, and overall performance of the circuit. It also helps to reduce the thermal runaway effect in BJTs, where the transistor becomes more conductive as it heats up, leading to potential damage. Emitter degeneration also makes the circuit less sensitive to changes in temperature and transistor parameters.