Biot-Savart Law method problem

In summary: What is the definition of ##\pi## ?In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of magnetic field contribution from two loops, one with a radius and length labeled as r1 and L1 respectively, and the other with a radius and length labeled as r2 and L2 respectively. The calculation involves using the formula dB = (μI/4π)(dLsinθ/r^2) and integrating over the lengths of the loops. The resulting direction of the magnetic field is determined using the right hand rule. There is a question regarding whether the angles used in the calculations should be in degrees or radians.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=c29afb2242fddf4b159f47f8fd31f91c.png

Homework Equations

dB = (μI/4π)(dLsinθ/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

the flat edges of the loop will not contribute to the magnetic field because sinθ = . Only the curved outer loop with radius I will call r2 and length L2 and inner loop with radius r1 and length L1 will contribute.

[itex] B = \int_{0}^{L_2} \frac{μI(dL)}{4π(r_2)^2} + \int_{L_1}^{0} \frac{μI(dL)}{4π(r_1)^2}[/itex]

[itex] B = \int_{0}^{270°} \frac{μI(r_2dθ)}{4π(r_2)^2} + \int_{270°}^{0} \frac{μI(r_1dθ)}{4π(r_1)^2}[/itex]

[itex] B = \frac{μI}{4π}(\int_{0}^{270°} \frac{dθ}{r_2} + \int_{270°}^{0} \frac{dθ}{r_1})[/itex]

[itex] B = \frac{μI}{4π}(\frac{270°}{r_2} + (-\frac{270°}{r_1}))[/itex]

[itex] B = \frac{μI(270°)}{4π}(\frac{1}{r_2} - \frac{1}{r_1})[/itex]

[itex] B = \frac{μI(270°)}{4π}(\frac{1}{4} - \frac{1}{2})[/itex]

[itex] B = \frac{μ(.2)(270°)}{4π}( - \frac{1}{4})[/itex]

[itex] B = -\frac{μ(.2)(270°)}{16π}[/itex]

and by the right hand rule I think the direction would be into the page. Is my method correct?

Attachments

• problem 3.png
    problem 3.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 833
Physics news on Phys.org
toothpaste666 said:
I think the direction would be into the page. Is my method correct?

Yes, the method and the direction seem correct. I have not inspected the calculations.

( 270° = 3/2⋅π )

Likes toothpaste666
Thank you! so not converting to radians will give me an incorrect answer?

You wrote three quarters of the circumference of a circle as ##\int r dL##, right ? Would you settle for 270 r or do you think it should be ##3/2\; \pi r## ?

I am not sure. I am guessing it should be in radians?

Why guess ?

Related to Biot-Savart Law method problem

1. What is the Biot-Savart Law method?

The Biot-Savart Law method is a mathematical equation used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire. It is based on the principles of electromagnetism and was first discovered by Jean-Baptiste Biot and Félix Savart in the early 19th century.

2. How is the Biot-Savart Law method applied?

The Biot-Savart Law method is applied by using the equation B = (μ0/4π) * (I * dl x ̂r)/r^2, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, dl is the differential length element of the wire, r is the distance between the wire and the point where the magnetic field is being measured, and ̂r is the unit vector in the direction of r. This equation can be used to calculate the magnetic field at any point in space.

3. What are the limitations of the Biot-Savart Law method?

The Biot-Savart Law method is only valid for steady currents and does not take into account any time-varying effects. It also assumes that the wire is infinitely thin and straight, and that the magnetic field is being measured at a point far enough away from the wire that the magnetic field can be considered to be a point source. Additionally, it does not account for any magnetic materials that may be present in the vicinity of the wire.

4. How is the Biot-Savart Law method used in real-life applications?

The Biot-Savart Law method is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in the design and analysis of electrical motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in the field of geophysics to study the Earth's magnetic field and in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5. Can the Biot-Savart Law method be used to calculate the magnetic field of a complex system?

Yes, the Biot-Savart Law method can be used to calculate the magnetic field of a complex system by breaking it down into small, simpler elements and summing up the contributions from each element using the superposition principle. This allows for the calculation of the overall magnetic field of a system, even if it is made up of multiple current-carrying wires or other components.