Biophysics/Physics Graduate School w/o Complex Analysis

In summary, the speaker is a student in their last semester of obtaining a physics degree. They are interested in biophysical research or energy research and are considering pursuing biophysics or straight physics programs for graduate school. However, they are faced with a scheduling conflict between Organic Chemistry 2 and Complex Analysis, and are concerned about how not taking Complex Analysis may affect their chances of getting into graduate school. They also mention having a minimal math background due to focusing on biology classes. They are seeking input on the importance of organic chemistry and complex analysis for biophysics and physics in terms of getting into graduate school, and whether it would be a significant disadvantage to not
zuukr
Hey y'all,
I'm in my last semester about to obtain my physics degree, and I am very interested in biophysical research or energy research. With that in mind I have my eyes set on biophysics programs and straight physics programs. The concern I have is that for my last semester I can only take Organic Chemistry 2 or Complex Analysis, because both courses hold the same time slot. I guess its all dependent on which path I decide to pursue, but I am curious to know if not taking Complex Analysis will hinder my chances at graduate school (regardless of research, good letters of rec, etc.). It is to my understanding that complex analysis is generally covered within the graduate level mathematical methods course. I would like to finish Orgo as it is generally a pre req for many biophysics programs. Another factor to consider though is that my math background is minimal (Calc 1,2,3 and ODE), mostly due to the fact that I replaced math classes with bio classes. I feel like I have a strong background in the sciences now, but my math is lacking. Would anyone have any input on the value of organic chemistry related to Biophysics and Complex Analysis to Physics in terms of getting into Grad School? Or does a deficit like this not sound like a big deal?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you more interested in experimental or computational work?

Experimental

Related to Biophysics/Physics Graduate School w/o Complex Analysis

1. What is Biophysics/Physics graduate school?

Biophysics/Physics graduate school is an advanced academic program that focuses on the intersection of physics and biology. It involves studying physical principles and theories to understand biological systems and processes.

2. What are the admission requirements for Biophysics/Physics graduate school?

The specific requirements may vary among different graduate schools, but generally, applicants are expected to have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and biology. Most schools also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

3. Can I apply to Biophysics/Physics graduate school without a background in Complex Analysis?

It is recommended to have a solid understanding of Complex Analysis before starting graduate school in Biophysics/Physics. However, if you do not have this background, some schools may offer remedial courses or allow you to take the necessary courses during your first year of graduate studies.

4. What career opportunities are available for Biophysics/Physics graduate school graduates?

Graduates from Biophysics/Physics graduate school can pursue a variety of careers in research, academia, and industry. They can work in fields such as biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and renewable energy. They can also continue their education and pursue a PhD in a related field.

5. How long does it take to complete a Biophysics/Physics graduate program?

The duration of a Biophysics/Physics graduate program can vary depending on the specific school and program. Generally, it takes 2-3 years to complete a Master's degree and 5-6 years to complete a PhD. Some programs may offer an accelerated track for students who already have a Master's degree.