Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering Books & Career Advice

In summary, the conversation discusses the field of Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering and its focus on designing and creating medical devices and cellular therapies. The conversation also mentions the different emphases within the field and the potential for research and development. Book recommendations are suggested for further understanding of the topic.
Thorium90
I honestly wasn't sure if this should have went in Engineering or Biology/Medicine section. I am interested in finding out more about what Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering is all about. One side says its about just building machines, while the other is about using the machines and doing research. Either way, input and or book recommendations that outline the topics and give bit more detail would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Thorium90 said:
I honestly wasn't sure if this should have went in Engineering or Biology/Medicine section. I am interested in finding out more about what Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering is all about. One side says its about just building machines, while the other is about using the machines and doing research. Either way, input and or book recommendations that outline the topics and give bit more detail would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
Biomedical engineering in practice is the field that designs and creates medical devices and cellular therapies. In many programs, you can take an electrical emphasis, which would focus on medical equipment like defibrillators or CT scanners, a mechanical emphasis, which focuses on implantable medical devices like artificial joints or stent grafts, or a cellular/bioengineering emphais, which focuses on growing tissues or other biological structures.

Anyone who tells you an engineering field is about "research" is missing the point. Engineering is making stuff to sell.

Likes FactChecker
With the explosive advance of imaging technologies, implanted devices like Cochlear, 3d printed prosthetic devices, etc., I don't think that there is any limit to research and development. I think that you should visit the university bookstore and look at some of the textbooks in the biomedical engineering core courses to get an idea.

Ben Espen said:
Anyone who tells you an engineering field is about "research" is missing the point. Engineering is making stuff to sell.

It is possible for someone with an engineering background to do research or advanced development, such as at a national lab.

Thorium90 said:
I am interested in finding out more about what Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering is all about.

Its going to vary a lot by school. In general the programs will expose you to basic anatomy, a little ee, and little me, and some medical type work. School to school, the project emphasis and the electives will vary a lot. It depends on what you want to do with the degree.

Related to Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering Books & Career Advice

What is biomedical engineering/bioengineering?

Biomedical engineering/bioengineering is a field that applies principles of engineering and science to develop solutions to problems in healthcare and medicine. It involves the use of engineering concepts to design and develop medical equipment, diagnostic tools, and treatment methods.

What are the career options in biomedical engineering/bioengineering?

Biomedical engineering/bioengineering offers a wide range of career options, including biomedical engineer, clinical engineer, research scientist, medical product designer, and many more. These professionals work in various settings such as hospitals, research labs, medical device companies, and government agencies.

What skills are required to become a successful biomedical engineer/bioengineer?

Successful biomedical engineers/bioengineers possess a combination of technical, problem-solving, and communication skills. They must have a strong foundation in mathematics, biology, and physics, as well as knowledge of engineering principles. Additionally, they must have excellent communication skills to collaborate with other healthcare professionals and effectively present their ideas.

What are the top books for biomedical engineering/bioengineering students?

Some popular books for biomedical engineering/bioengineering students include "Introduction to Biomedical Engineering" by John Enderle, "Biomedical Engineering: Bridging Medicine and Technology" by W. Mark Saltzman, and "Principles of Biomedical Engineering" by Sundararajan V. Madihally. These books cover a wide range of topics in the field and are commonly used in undergraduate and graduate programs.

How is the job market for biomedical engineering/bioengineering professionals?

The job market for biomedical engineering/bioengineering professionals is growing rapidly due to the increasing demand for healthcare solutions and advancements in technology. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in this field is projected to grow 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is much faster than the average for all occupations. This indicates a positive outlook for those pursuing a career in biomedical engineering/bioengineering.