Biology vs Biochemistry vs Chemical Engineering?

In summary, a Bachelor in biochemistry will prepare you for the MCAT and most of the requirements for medical school. A Bachelor in chemical engineering will prepare you for the MCAT but is more focused on the technical aspects of the field.
Razael
I'm planning on going down the medical path. Will a Bachelor in each of these prepare me for the MCAT and what I'll see in medical school? Less importantly, how "sellable" are these degrees relative to each other (should the medical path not work out)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Biology and biochemistry overlap in areas such as organic chemistry, cell bio, genetics, etc. Pure biology includes areas such as ecology, evolution, botany, etc. If you want to go to medical school, I would suggest biochemistry (or a pre-med program).

Chemical engineering is a different field altogether. I don't know much about this field but my good friend is a chemical engineer and does not know a thing about the medical field - his work is more about (what he calls) chemical processes. Most, if not all, of the engineering graduates I am friends with got a job right out of school, biology not so much.

I don't know enough about the various degrees to comment on each one's marketability, though engineering fields are generally pretty good for that.

As someone who planned for a long time to ultimately attend medical school, I'll second the biochemistry recommendation for preparation. Just using the local university and med school as an example, the biochemistry degree fills all the med school's requirements (specifically: a year each of English, chemistry, organic chemistry, biology, physics, and another science), throws in another useful sequence (namely, biochemistry itself), and leaves room for other possibly useful classes (anatomy/physiology, immunology, medical microbiology, endocrinology, etc).

Keep in mind that the MCAT is more a test of reasoning ability than it is a test of knowledge. While extra courses will undoubtedly help, the basic requirements for med school admission should be adequate if all else fails. Also, as I'm sure you realize, make sure you pay attention to things outside of your coursework as well. There are many many students with excellent numbers applying to med school every year, and only something like 50% of applicants are actually accepted. Work on becoming the most well-rounded person you can be.

Good luck, in any case. :)

chemical engineering is already hard enough, about 136 hours of work in 4 years at my state university, with premed requirements it will be extremely difficult coursework.

biology is what most people do

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't want to end up competing in a saturated field after 4 years of work (Gotta save Starbucks for the Liberal Arts majors :smile:)

biology degrees are a dime a dozen and most of those students are intellectual treestumps
biochemistry will hit all of your med prereqs but is amazingly boring (biochem & microbio is often useful for med students)
chem eng is highly marketable and depending on your school will cover roughly 75% of med school prereqs, not to mention that having such an undergrad degree will separate you from the applicant pool (in a pleasantly surprising way)

Related to Biology vs Biochemistry vs Chemical Engineering?

1. What is the difference between biology, biochemistry, and chemical engineering?

Biology is the study of living organisms and their interactions with each other and the environment. Biochemistry is the study of the chemical processes and substances in living organisms. Chemical engineering is the application of chemical principles to develop and design processes for large-scale production of chemicals and other products.

2. Can you explain the overlap between these fields?

Biochemistry and biology have a significant overlap, as biochemistry is a subfield of biology that focuses on the chemical reactions and processes within living organisms. Chemical engineering also has some overlap with biochemistry, as it involves understanding and manipulating chemical reactions, but it has a wider scope and includes other industries such as pharmaceuticals, food production, and materials science.

3. What kind of careers can I pursue with a degree in each of these fields?

With a degree in biology, you can pursue careers in areas such as research, healthcare, education, and conservation. A degree in biochemistry can lead to careers in pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, food science, and research. Chemical engineering graduates can work in industries such as manufacturing, energy production, environmental remediation, and materials science.

4. Which field has the most potential for future advancements?

All three fields have potential for future advancements, but biochemistry and chemical engineering are likely to see more rapid growth due to the increasing demand for new medicines, sustainable energy sources, and environmentally-friendly products.

5. Can someone with a background in one of these fields easily switch to another?

It is possible to switch between these fields, but it will require additional education and training. For example, a biologist interested in working in the biotechnology industry may need to pursue additional courses in biochemistry or chemical engineering. It is important to carefully consider your interests and career goals before making a switch between these fields.