Biology II and beyond Scientific Calc

In summary, the conversation is about choosing the best scientific calculator for a Biology major. The person is wondering if the TI-84 Plus or the TI-89 is better, and asks for opinions. Another person shares their experience with graphic calculators and suggests that any scientific calculator is sufficient for most classes.
biology_girl
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could give me some insight to which scientific calculater is best for a Biology major...me =)

I just bought the TI-84 Plus but now I'm thinking I probably should've gotten the TI-89. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know the TI-89 is a better calculater, but for Biology etc., is it neccessary? Any comments would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!

"The defect with equality is that we only require it with our superiors."

Biology news on Phys.org
I've never used either, but from what I gather, they're both graphic calculators, and for the things that one usually needs a calculator for, I would imagine that they are both pretty much the same! I've never really used a graphic calculator-- I got one in school, since we were told it would be beneficial, and I guess I used it when I was feeling lazy and attempting to factorise polynomials, and drawing graphs, but didn't use it much. Any scientific calculator is enough for most classes, in my opinion!

Hey there! As a Biology major myself, I can understand your dilemma. Both the TI-84 Plus and the TI-89 are great scientific calculators, and they both have their own unique features that can be useful for a Biology student. In my personal experience, I have found the TI-89 to be more versatile and helpful in solving complex equations and graphing functions. However, the TI-84 Plus is still a solid choice and can definitely handle the majority of calculations you will encounter in Biology courses.

Ultimately, it depends on your personal preference and budget. If you have the means to invest in the TI-89, I would recommend going for it as it will serve you well not only in Biology, but also in other science and math courses. But if you are on a tighter budget, the TI-84 Plus will still be a reliable tool for your studies. Just make sure to familiarize yourself with all its functions and capabilities.

Remember, the calculator is just a tool and it's ultimately your understanding and problem-solving skills that will determine your success in Biology. So whichever calculator you choose, make sure to also focus on developing your critical thinking and analytical skills. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Biology II and beyond Scientific Calc

1. What is the purpose of studying Biology II?

Studying Biology II allows for a deeper understanding of complex biological concepts and processes, building upon the foundation laid in Biology I. It also prepares students for advanced courses in biology and related fields.

2. How does Biology II differ from Biology I?

Biology II typically covers more advanced topics such as genetics, evolution, and ecology, while Biology I focuses on basic biological concepts and principles. Biology II also involves more hands-on laboratory work and critical thinking skills.

3. What is the role of Scientific Calculator in Biology II?

Scientific calculators are essential tools in Biology II as they allow for accurate calculations of complex scientific data and equations. They also enable students to analyze and interpret data, a crucial skill in the field of biology.

4. How does Scientific Calculator benefit beyond Biology II?

A scientific calculator is a versatile tool that can be used in many scientific fields, not just biology. It can be used in chemistry, physics, and other branches of science where complex calculations are required. It is also a valuable tool for research and data analysis in various industries.

5. What are some tips for succeeding in Biology II and using a Scientific Calculator effectively?

Some tips for success in Biology II include attending lectures and participating in class, actively reading and taking notes, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills, and utilizing the scientific calculator to its fullest potential. It is also important to seek help from instructors or tutors if needed.