Bio mechanic force/moment problem sets

In summary, the first question involves estimating the moment produced by cruciate ligaments and lateral collateral ligament when a lateral-to-medial load is applied to the foot. The second question involves determining the quasi-static moment equation for the arm bicep muscle as a function of flexion angle θ, and finding the angles at which the lowest and highest moments on the bicep muscle are achieved. The correct free-body diagrams and equilibrium moment equations are provided, but there is uncertainty about the accuracy of the solutions.
acdree

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, I have 2 questions that I think are relatively easy but are frustrating in that I just can't seem to get an answer

1st -- If a lateral-to-medial load is applied to the foot, a counteracting moment is produced at the knee joint in a lateral-medial plane, which stretches the lateral collateral ligament and
the cruciate ligaments. Estimate the moment produced by cruciate ligaments to that
produced by the lateral collateral ligament. Use the force-deflection characteristics of the
ligaments in your solution.

Homework Equations

(F = kΔx and M = Fd); assume that ligaments act as springs

The Attempt at a Solution

The free-body diagram is in the attachment. Fc is the force produced by the collateral ligament, Fl is the force produced by the lateral ligament and dc and dl are the corresponding distances of both forces from the load N. I really don't know how to do this question. I wrote out the equilibrium moment equation but then I get stuck. I don't know how to continue or if my free-body diagram is even right.

Homework Statement

2nd -- An athlete lifts a weight of 80N from position A to position D which makes an angle of 180 degrees. The weight of athlete’s arm (from shoulder to fingers) is 20N. Arm will move with no bent in the wrist and elbow joints over angle θ. Note that the reference point O is on the shoulder joint. The arm weight 20N act at x=0, y=0 halfway of the arm total length of 60cm.

(a) Determine the quasi-static moment equation corresponding to the arm bicep muscle as
a function of flexion angle θ. At the arm bicep muscle, consider moment Tm and force
vectors (along x and y).

(B) Determine angles at what the lowest and the highest moments on the bicep muscle
are achieved.

Homework Equations

(ƩM = 0)

The Attempt at a Solution

The free-body diagram is in the 2nd attachment. I got an equilibrium moment equation of: Mo = 20(0.3 cosθ) + 80(0.6 cosθ)
dMo/dθ = 0
= -20(0.3 sinθ) - 80(0.6 sinθ)

θ = 0 and 180 deg.

The problem here is just of uncertainty; don't know if I am right or not

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for time.

Attachments

• free-body diagram.bmp
    215.4 KB · Views: 808
  • free-body diagram 2.bmp
    215.4 KB · Views: 726
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry everyone there is a mistake in the information given for problem number 1 about the ligament forces. The lateral-medial load is a sideways force therefore 'N' in the free-body diagram attachment is not the load (Really don't know what it is, that is just what the professor provided us with)

Related to Bio mechanic force/moment problem sets

1. What is a bio mechanic force/moment problem set?

A bio mechanic force/moment problem set is a set of questions or exercises that involve the application of principles from biomechanics to solve problems related to forces and moments in biological systems. These problems often require the use of mathematical equations and calculations to determine the forces and moments acting on a biological structure or organism.

2. What topics are typically covered in bio mechanic force/moment problem sets?

Bio mechanic force/moment problem sets cover a wide range of topics, including statics, dynamics, kinematics, and kinetics. These topics are used to analyze the forces and moments involved in human and animal movement, as well as the mechanical properties of biological structures such as bones, muscles, and joints.

3. How are bio mechanic force/moment problem sets useful?

Bio mechanic force/moment problem sets are useful for understanding and applying principles of biomechanics to real-world situations. They can help researchers and practitioners in fields such as sports science, physical therapy, and ergonomics to analyze movement patterns and identify potential areas for improvement or injury prevention.

4. What skills are necessary to successfully complete bio mechanic force/moment problem sets?

To successfully complete bio mechanic force/moment problem sets, one should have a strong understanding of basic physics principles, as well as knowledge of anatomy and biomechanics. Proficiency in math, including algebra and trigonometry, is also important for solving equations and calculations involved in these problems.

5. Where can I find resources for practicing bio mechanic force/moment problems?

There are many resources available for practicing bio mechanic force/moment problems, including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice sets. Your instructor or academic institution may also have resources or practice problems available. Additionally, there are software programs and apps that can assist with solving and visualizing these types of problems.