Bio Major/Math Minor looking to enter Physics

In summary, a senior at a private university with a major in biological sciences and a minor in mathematics is considering a career change to physics. They are concerned about limited job options without further education and wonder if they can enter a physics field without a BS in physics. A possible solution is to look into post-bacc programs in physics to prepare for graduate school.
Aquaman47
Hi all,

I'm currently a senior at a private university from which I plan on graduating in the fall with a major in biological sciences, and a minor in mathematics. After years of schooling, I've come to the conclusion that I've chosen the wrong field of study. As much as I love biology, I love physics as much, or even more. My love for mathematics and aptitude for it further complicate this conundrum.

I had originally planned on getting a job right out of undegrad before possibly continuing onto graduate school, but the more I look, the more it seems that my options are rather limited unless I continue my education immediately. I believe with my credentials that my best option if I were to go on to graduate school would be studies in biostats or some other field in which I could apply my knowledge of both mathematics and biology.

However, ever since taking my requisite physics course, just entry level, and under the influence of my physics professor, I've entertained the belief that I could somehow enter a physics based field. I understand just how much is taught and learned during undergrad, however, I do not wish to enter into another undergraduate program. My question is, would I somehow be able to enter into the field of physics without a BS in physics, or am I at a dead end?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A friend of mine was in the same position. She worked in industry for a few years, then decided to go into physics. She did a physics post-bacc first and got into a top grad school for physics and she's working in biophysics. So look up post-bacc programs in physics to prepare for grad school without starting over.

Likes Intraverno

Related to Bio Major/Math Minor looking to enter Physics

1. What career opportunities are available for someone with a Bio major and Math minor looking to enter Physics?

There are various career opportunities available for someone with a Bio major and Math minor looking to enter Physics. Some options include working as a biophysicist, medical physicist, or research scientist in a laboratory or academic setting. Additionally, there may be opportunities in fields such as data analysis, science education, or science writing.

2. How can I transfer my skills from biology and math to the field of physics?

While biology, math, and physics may seem like very different subjects, there are many transferable skills between them. Some examples include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and experimental design. Additionally, many concepts in biology, such as genetics and biochemistry, have applications in physics, particularly in the field of biophysics.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in physics to pursue a career in this field?

While having a strong foundation in physics can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Many skills, such as mathematical and analytical abilities, can be developed through coursework and practical experience. Additionally, there are various resources available for individuals looking to strengthen their physics knowledge, such as online courses and textbooks.

4. What types of courses should I take to prepare for a career in physics with a Bio major and Math minor?

It is recommended to take a combination of physics, biology, and math courses to prepare for a career in physics with a Bio major and Math minor. Some specific courses that may be beneficial include biophysics, mathematical biology, and courses in calculus and statistics. Additionally, it may be helpful to take courses in computer programming and data analysis.

5. Is it possible to pursue a graduate degree in physics with a background in biology and math?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in physics with a background in biology and math. Many graduate programs in physics are open to students with diverse backgrounds, and having a strong foundation in math and science can be advantageous. It may be helpful to reach out to specific graduate programs to inquire about their specific requirements and recommendations for applicants with a Bio major and Math minor.