Binomial Theorem related proofs

In summary, we used the given inequality to find a specific value for N, and then chose a specific value for e to prove the statement. I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!
h.shin

Homework Statement

Let a be a fixed positive rational number. Choose (and fix) a natural number M>a.
Use (a^n)/(n!)[itex]\leq[/itex](a^M/(M!))(a/M)^(n-M) to show that, given e>0, there exists an N[itex]\in[/itex][itex]N[/itex] such that for all n[itex]\geq[/itex]N, (a^n)/n! < e.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In a previous problem, I saw that when M>n then (a^n)/(n!)<(a^M/(M!))(a/M)^(n-M). So I thought i could maybe use that to come up with a N in relations to e. but I'm not so sure how to do this. I know the equations are long and ugly, but please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and attempt at a solution. Let's work through this problem together.

First, let's review the given inequality: (a^n)/(n!)<=(a^M/(M!))(a/M)^(n-M).

We know that a and M are fixed positive rational numbers, and since we are trying to prove that (a^n)/n! < e for all n≥N, we can choose a specific value for N. Let's say N=M, since we know that for n>M, the right side of the inequality will become smaller and smaller as n increases.

Now, let's substitute N=M into the inequality: (a^n)/(n!)<=(a^M/(M!))(a/M)^(n-M) becomes (a^n)/(n!)<=(a^M/(M!))(a/M)^(M-M). Simplifying further, we get (a^n)/(n!)<=(a^M/(M!)).

We can rewrite this as (a^n)/(n!)<=(a^M)/(M!)*(1/M)^n.

Since we are trying to prove that (a^n)/n! < e for all n≥N, we can choose a specific value for e. Let's say e=(a^M)/(M!)*(1/M)^N. This means that for all n≥N, (a^n)/n! < (a^M)/(M!)*(1/M)^N.

To show that (a^n)/n! < e, we need to show that (a^n)/n! < (a^M)/(M!)*(1/M)^N < (a^M)/(M!)*(1/M)^n.

We can rewrite this as (a^n)/(n!) < (a^M)/(M!)*(1/M)^(n-N).

Now, let's choose a specific value for N, such as N=2M. This means that for all n≥2M, (a^n)/n! < (a^M)/(M!)*(1/M)^(n-2M).

We can rewrite this as (a^n)/n! < (a^M)/(M!)*(1/M)^n.

Since we chose a specific value for e and N, we have shown that for all n≥N, (a^n)/n! < e. Therefore, the statement is proven.

I hope

Related to Binomial Theorem related proofs

1. What is the Binomial Theorem and why is it important?

The Binomial Theorem is a mathematical formula that describes the expansion of a binomial (an expression with two terms) raised to a positive integer power. It is important because it allows us to quickly and easily calculate the coefficients and terms of a binomial expansion, which is helpful in many algebraic and statistical applications.

2. How do you prove the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem can be proven using mathematical induction, which involves showing that the theorem holds true for the base case (n = 1) and then using this assumption to prove that it also holds true for the next case (n+1). This process is repeated until the theorem is proven for all positive integer values of n.

3. Can the Binomial Theorem be applied to non-integer powers?

Yes, the Binomial Theorem can be extended to non-integer powers using the Binomial Series. This involves using the concept of the binomial coefficient, which is defined for non-integer values, to expand the binomial raised to a rational power. This series can then be used to approximate the value of the binomial for non-integer powers.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem has many applications in the fields of statistics, finance, and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the probability of a certain number of successes in a series of trials, to expand the terms of a polynomial function, or to predict the future value of an investment.

5. Are there any limitations to the Binomial Theorem?

Yes, the Binomial Theorem has some limitations. It can only be applied to binomials (expressions with two terms), and the exponent must be a positive integer or a rational number. It also assumes that the terms in the binomial are independent and identically distributed, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. However, these limitations can be addressed by using alternative methods such as the Multinomial Theorem or the Binomial Series.