Binomial theorem proof by induction

In summary, the problem sheet asked for a proof of:(1+x)^n = \displaystyle\sum _{k=0} ^n \binom{n}{k} x^kwhere n is a negative integer. The proof was shown to be true for n = r + 1.
phospho
On my problem sheet I got asked to prove:

## (1+x)^n = \displaystyle\sum _{k=0} ^n \binom{n}{k} x^k ##

here is my attempt by induction...

n = 0
LHS## (1+x)^0 = 1 ##
RHS:## \displaystyle \sum_{k=0} ^0 \binom{0}{k} x^k = \binom{0}{0}x^0 = 1\times 1 = 1 ##

LHS = RHS hence true for n = 0

assume true for n = r i.e.:

## (1+x)^r = \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^r \binom{r}{k}x^k ##

n = r+1:

## (1+x)^{r+1} = (1+x)^r(1+x) = \displaystyle \sum_{k=0} ^r \binom{r}{k} x^k (1+x) ##
## = \displaystyle \sum_{k=0} ^r \binom{r}{k}x^k + \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^r \binom{r}{k} x^{k+1} ##

consider ## \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^r \binom{r}{k} x^{k+1} ##

let k = s-1 then:

## \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^r \binom{r}{k} x^{k+1} = \displaystyle \sum_{s=1}^{r+1} \binom{r}{s-1}x^s = \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{r+1} \binom{r}{k-1}x^k ##

hence we get:

## (1+x)^{r+1} = \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^r \binom{r}{k}x^k + \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{r+1} \binom{r}{k-1}x^k ##

## = \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^r \binom{r}{k}x^k + \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^r \binom{r}{k-1}x^k + \binom{0}{0}x^0 + \binom{r+1}{r}x^{r+1} ##

## = \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^r x^k (\binom{r}{k} + \binom{r}{k-1}) + 1 + \binom{r+1}{r}x^{r+1} ##
## = \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^r \binom{r+1}{k} x^k + 1 + \binom{r+1}{r}x^{r+1} ##
## = \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{r+1} \binom{r+1}{k}x^k ##

hence shown to be true for n = r + 1

is this proof OK or have I made a mistake somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
bump, anyone?

As far as I can see, it looks good. Perhaps you have to prove the "Pascal triangle identity" for the binomial coefficients,
[tex]\binom{r}{k} + \binom{r}{k-1}=\binom{r+1}{k},[/tex]
which is just an easy to prove identity using the definition of the binomial coeficients
[tex]\binom{r}{k}=\frac{r!}{k!(r-k)!}.[/tex]

vanhees71 said:
As far as I can see, it looks good. Perhaps you have to prove the "Pascal triangle identity" for the binomial coefficients,
[tex]\binom{r}{k} + \binom{r}{k-1}=\binom{r+1}{k},[/tex]
which is just an easy to prove identity using the definition of the binomial coeficients
[tex]\binom{r}{k}=\frac{r!}{k!(r-k)!}.[/tex]

I've proved that previously

I just noticed a mistake in my proof

instead of ## \binom{r+1}{r} x^{r+1} ## I should have ## \binom{r}{r} x^{r+1} ## right?

Argh, that I've overlooked. Sorrry. Of course
[tex]\binom{r}{r}=\binom{r+1}{r+1}=1.[/tex]
So it's been just a type :-).

Likes 1 person
If you're interested, you could also do a proof using Fubini's theorem on the sum, if you can spot a small trick.

Last edited:

Related to Binomial theorem proof by induction

1. What is the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem is a mathematical formula that explains the expansion of a binomial expression raised to a positive integer power.

2. How is the Binomial Theorem proved by induction?

The Binomial Theorem can be proved by mathematical induction, which involves establishing a base case and then proving that the formula holds for all subsequent cases.

3. What is the base case for proving the Binomial Theorem by induction?

The base case for proving the Binomial Theorem by induction is when the exponent is 0. In this case, the binomial expression is raised to the power of 0, resulting in a value of 1. This serves as the foundation for the rest of the proof.

4. What is the role of the induction hypothesis in proving the Binomial Theorem?

The induction hypothesis is used to assume that the Binomial Theorem holds for a certain exponent, and then using that assumption to prove that it also holds for the next exponent. This helps to build a chain of proofs that ultimately shows that the theorem holds for all exponents.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Binomial Theorem?

Yes, the Binomial Theorem has various applications in fields such as probability, statistics, and engineering. It is used to calculate the probability of certain outcomes in events with multiple outcomes, as well as in the development of mathematical models for analyzing data and making predictions.