Binomial Theorem & Nilpotent Elements in a Ring: Is (a+b)m+n Nilpotent?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the combination of the binomial theorem and nilpotent elements within a ring. It is asked whether (a+b)^(m+n)=0 given that am=bn=0. The conversation then goes on to analyze different possibilities for i in the binomial expansion, concluding that if i>n, then b=0 and if i<n, then a=0. The speaker also mentions the need for clearer statements and proofs.
tom.young84
I have this question and its a combination of the binomial theorem and nilpotent elements within a ring.

Suppose the following, am=bn=0. Is it necessarily true that (a+b)m+n is nilpotent.

For this question I did the following:

[tex]\sum[/tex]i=0m+n[tex]\binom{m+n}{i}[/tex]am+n-ibi

If i=m, then a=0. Additionally, if i>m a=0.

That's actually as far as I've gotten.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are actually asking whether (a+b)^(m+n)=0. Is that right? If a^m=0, then a^(m+1)=0, a^(m+2)=0 etc etc. Similar for b. All of the terms in your binomial expansion have the general form i*a^k*b^l where (k+l)=(m+n). Is it possible k<m AND l<n?

So I was working on this today during a lecture.

(a+b)m+n

Now we go to some arbitrary term in the middle:

am+n-ibi

From here we can notice the following things:
i>n and i=n
If this is true, then we know that b=0 and the whole thing equals zero.
i<n
If this is true, then we know that a=0 from the following:
If i<n then we know i[tex]\leq[/tex]n-1. Then with i subbed in, m+n-(n-1) which equals m+1.

This means that, by substitution, m+1. That makes a=0.

Done?

That's more than a little confusing. I mean, you aren't proving a=0 or b=0, you are proving powers of a and b are zero, right? But yes, I think you've got the right idea. You could just state it a lot more clearly.

Related to Binomial Theorem & Nilpotent Elements in a Ring: Is (a+b)m+n Nilpotent?

1. What is the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem is a mathematical formula that allows us to expand a binomial expression raised to a certain power. It is given by (a+b)^n = ∑(nCr)a^(n-r)b^r, where a and b are any real numbers and n is a positive integer.

2. What is a Nilpotent Element in a Ring?

A Nilpotent Element in a Ring is an element that, when raised to a certain power, becomes equal to 0. In other words, there exists a positive integer n such that a^n = 0.

3. How is the Binomial Theorem related to Nilpotent Elements in a Ring?

The Binomial Theorem can be used to expand (a+b)^m+n, where m and n are positive integers. If we consider a and b to be Nilpotent Elements in a Ring, then (a+b)^m+n can be simplified using the Binomial Theorem to only include terms with a^n or b^m, which are both equal to 0. Therefore, (a+b)^m+n is also a Nilpotent Element in the Ring.

4. Is (a+b)^m+n always a Nilpotent Element in a Ring?

No, (a+b)^m+n is only a Nilpotent Element in a Ring if both a and b are Nilpotent Elements in the Ring. If either a or b is not a Nilpotent Element, then (a+b)^m+n will not be a Nilpotent Element.

5. What is the significance of Nilpotent Elements in a Ring?

Nilpotent Elements in a Ring are important in the study of abstract algebra and ring theory. They can help us understand the structure and properties of rings, and they also have applications in fields such as cryptography and coding theory.