Binomial Theorem Homework Help: 3/2 in Parentheses?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the binomial coefficient, \binom nk, to represent the number of ways of choosing k items out of n different items. The formula for the binomial coefficient is \binom nk = \frac{n!}{k!\,(n-k)!}, where 0 \leq k \leq n. It is also pointed out that 0! (zero factorial) is equal to 1.
g.lemaitre

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-06-26at12743AM.png

What am I supposed to do with the 3 over 2 in the parentheses? It can be divide and it can be take the factorial. So what do I do with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi g.lemaitre :smile:

g.lemaitre said:

Homework Statement

What am I supposed to do with the 3 over 2 in the parentheses? It can be divide and it can be take the factorial. So what do I do with it?

It is the number of ways of choosing 2 items out of 3 different items. In other words, combinations.

3C2.

Hi Infinitum! Call me Georges.

Does that mean you take 3!/2!? That work for the 3rd and 4th term but not for the second term and for the first term I think it's undefined.

g.lemaitre said:
Hi Infinitum! Call me Georges.

Does that mean you take 3!/2!? That work for the 3rd and 4th term but not for the second term and for the first term I think it's undefined.

Okay, Georges then.

The binomial coefficient is given as,

[tex]\binom{n}{r} = \frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}[/tex]

Where, [itex]0 \leq r \leq n[/itex]

Why do you think this isn't defined for the first term??

Man, infinitum, you're such a big number it takes me like forever just to count you.

I understand the binomial coefficient and can get the right answer for terms 2 3 and 4 but I'm still having trouble with the first term.

if

then

[tex]\binom{3}{0} = \frac{3!}{0!(3-0)!} = \frac{6}{0}[/tex]

g.lemaitre said:

Homework Statement

The binary coefficient, [itex]\displaystyle \binom nk[/itex] is defined as follows.

[itex]\displaystyle \binom nk = \frac{n!}{k!\,(n-k)!}\ , \quad \mbox{for }\ 0\leq k\leq n[/itex]

g.lemaitre said:
Man, infinitum, you're such a big number it takes me like forever just to count you.

I understand the binomial coefficient and can get the right answer for terms 2 3 and 4 but I'm still having trouble with the first term.

if

then

[tex]\binom{3}{0} = \frac{3!}{0!(3-0)!} = \frac{6}{0}[/tex]

0! (zero factorial) is not equal to 0...

See the summary of this article : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=530207

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, i got it now.

zero factorial equals one.

Related to Binomial Theorem Homework Help: 3/2 in Parentheses?

1. What is the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem is a mathematical formula that allows us to expand binomials (expressions with two terms) raised to a positive integer power. It is commonly written as (a + b)^n and allows us to easily find the coefficients of each term in the expanded form.

2. What is the significance of the number 3/2 in parentheses in the Binomial Theorem?

The number 3/2 in parentheses is known as the power or exponent of the binomial. It represents the number of times the binomial is multiplied by itself in the expanded form. In other words, (a + b)^3/2 means that the binomial is multiplied by itself 3/2 times.

3. How do I solve problems involving the Binomial Theorem?

To solve problems involving the Binomial Theorem, you first need to identify the values of a, b, and n. Then, use the Binomial Theorem formula to expand the binomial and simplify the resulting expression. Finally, substitute in the given values to find the final answer.

4. Can the Binomial Theorem be applied to binomials with negative exponents?

No, the Binomial Theorem can only be applied to binomials with positive integer exponents. If the exponent is negative, the binomial should be rewritten with a positive exponent before applying the Binomial Theorem.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for understanding the Binomial Theorem?

One tip for understanding the Binomial Theorem is to break down the expansion into smaller parts. For example, if the power is 5, you can first expand (a + b)^2, then (a + b)^3, and so on until you reach (a + b)^5. Also, remember that the coefficients of each term can be found using Pascal's Triangle.