Binomial identities,combinatorial, equivalence

In summary: Your name]In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a summation with a variable n and the goal is to find a closed form expression for the summation, which reduces to binom(4*L+2,n). The speaker suggests using combinatorial methods or generating functions to solve the problem and asks for more information or context to provide specific guidance.
zmth

Homework Statement

To make it simpler just assume n is a positive even integer though it is also true when this is not the case but then the limits on s will be half an odd integer(s). We also
assume L is a non-negative integer and s goes by unit steps in the summation as usual.

sum_{s=0^{n/2} (2*s+1)^2 *(2*L+1)!*(2*L+2)! / ( (n/2+s+1)!*(2*L+1-n/2-s)! *(2*L+2-n/2+s)!(n/2-s)!) }

NOw this sum expression reduces to simply binom(4*L+2,n) = (4*L+2)!/n!/(4*L+2-n)!

2. The attempt at a solution

I have got it to the form (1/(2*L+2))*sum_{s=0^{n/2} (2*s+1)^2 * binom(2*L+2,n/2+s+1)*binom(2*L+2,n/2-s) } which the reader may verify is correct but seems
i can go no further with this as think this is the wrong way to go about it. Think we need to get the " s's " in the summation expressed as sum of products of binomials
where "s" is NOT in the numerator - that is only in the 2nd term of the binomials as... binom(...,...s...)*... I have tried in vain and cannot seem to reduce the sum
to closed form, that is with no summations, and equal to the correct answer binom(4*L+2,n) = (4*L+2)!/n!/(4*L+2-n)!. Can anyone use combinatorial methods to solve this ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist specializing in combinatorics and I would be happy to help you with your question.

First, I would like to clarify the question and make sure I understand it correctly. From what I can gather, you are trying to find a closed form expression for the summation given, which reduces to binom(4*L+2,n). Is that correct?

If so, I would suggest approaching this problem using combinatorial methods. One possible approach would be to interpret the summation as counting a certain set of objects. Can you provide some context or background information on the problem? This would help me understand the objects being counted and come up with a combinatorial interpretation.

Alternatively, you could try using generating functions to solve the problem. This involves representing the terms in the summation as coefficients in a polynomial and manipulating the polynomial to find a closed form expression. If you are familiar with generating functions, I can provide more specific guidance on how to approach this problem using that method.

I look forward to hearing back from you and helping you solve this problem.

Related to Binomial identities,combinatorial, equivalence

1. What are binomial identities?

Binomial identities are mathematical expressions that involve binomial coefficients, which represent the number of ways to choose a certain number of objects from a larger set. These identities often involve the use of the binomial theorem, which states that (a+b)^n = Σ(nCk)(a^k)(b^(n-k)), where n is a non-negative integer and k ranges from 0 to n.

2. How are binomial identities used in combinatorial problems?

Binomial identities are used to solve combinatorial problems by providing a way to count the number of possible outcomes or arrangements of objects. They are particularly useful in problems involving combinations, permutations, and probability.

3. Can you give an example of a binomial identity?

One example of a binomial identity is the Vandermonde's identity, which states that (m+nCk) = Σ(mCj)(nCk-j), where m, n, and k are non-negative integers. This identity can be used to find the number of ways to choose k objects from a set of m objects and n objects separately, and then combine them together.

4. What is the relationship between binomial identities and equivalence?

Binomial identities and equivalence are closely related because binomial identities can be used to prove equivalence between different mathematical expressions. For example, the binomial theorem can be used to prove that (1+x)^n is equivalent to Σ(nCk)(x^k), which is known as the binomial series.

5. Are there any real-world applications of binomial identities?

Yes, binomial identities have many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as statistics, engineering, and computer science. They can be used to solve problems involving combinations and probabilities, as well as to simplify complex mathematical expressions.