Binomial Expansion Question - fractional powers

In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of bi/tri-nomials raised to fractional powers and the use of nC1 and nC2 to simplify the expansion. The binomial theorem and the concept of "n choose k" are also mentioned. It is noted that factorials with fractions can be calculated using the gamma function. The conversation concludes that with fractional or negative exponents, an infinite number of terms will be present in the expansion.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

My question is simple is there a formula for the bi/tri-nomial expansion of bi/tri-nomials raised to fractional powers. that is,

[tex] (x^{2}+1)^{1/2} [/tex] or [tex] (x^{2}+x+1)^{1/2} [/tex]

I know pascals triangle for integer exponents but i can't really find anything about fraction exponents. I also know that 1/2 or 1/3 are square or cube roots but in that form i don't see anyway of expanding them.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a fractional or negative power, you have an infinite number of terms. Normally you'd expand it the usual way. But you work out nC1 and nC2 to get results such as:

nC1 =n

nC2= n(n-1)/2!

and then you'd just substitute for n.

I don't really understand what you are saying, can you use those rules to show me on one of the examples that I listed?

Can someone please explain this to me?

Asphyxiated said:
I don't really understand what you are saying, can you use those rules to show me on one of the examples that I listed?

Asphyxiated said:
Can someone please explain this to me?

The expansion of (a+b)n is as follows:

[tex](a+b)^n= b^n +\left( ^n _1 \right)b^{n-1}a +\left( ^n _2 \right)b^{n-2}a^2+...[/tex]

If you insert in your calculator something like 1/2C1, it won't give you a number. But you can simplify nC1 from the definition of nCr

[tex]\left( ^n _r \right) = \frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!}[/tex]

[tex] \left( ^n _1 \right) = \frac{n!}{(n-1)!1!}[/tex]

n!=n(n-1)(n-2)...3.2.1 = n(n-1)!

You can similarly simplify nC2, in the same manner.

[tex](a+b)^n = b^n + nb^{n-1}a + ... [/tex]
Sp

so does

nC1 read n choose 1?

I really have no experience with n choose k equations, that's why I am having a hard time understanding you.

Yes, nC1 is read as "n choose 1." It also means the number of combinations of n things taken 1 at a time.

It is also written as
[tex]\left( \begin{array}{c} n \\ 1 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

Take a look at this Wike article, especially the section on Newton's generalized binomial theorem - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem

Well yes they are essentially the same idea. Except you are not really 'choosing' in a binomial expansion.

But you do understand the definitions of n! and nCr as I've typed above right?

Ill take a shot at understanding it though, so in:

[tex]
(a+b)^n= b^n +\left( ^n _1 \right)b^{n-1}a +\left( ^n _2 \right)b^{n-2}a^2+...
[/tex]

is:

[tex] b^{n-1}a [/tex]

then multiplied by:

[tex]
\left( ^n _1 \right) = \frac{n!}{(n-1)!1!}
[/tex]

is that how it goes? I got the pattern, just those n choose r phrases are a mystery to me at the moment

or rather

[tex] \left (^n _k \right) [/tex]

become the binomial coefficients, is that right?

Last edited:
Right. The snag here is that for "n choose k" expressions, both n and k are normally integer values, with n >= r. For your problem, n is going to be 1/2.

ok, so i guess the only other question I have is how would you do factorials with fractions,

what would

[tex] \frac{1}{2}! [/tex] be?

I know integer factorials are easy,

[tex] 4! = 1*2*3*4 [/tex]...

On my calculator I found a factorial button, at least I think that's what it is, if i put in:

(1/2)! it gives 0.8862269255, does that sound right? It doesn't work out to a fraction but if i solve the equation:

[tex] \left(^n _k \right) = \frac{n!}{(n-k)!k!} [/tex]

for

[tex] \left(^n _1 \right) [/tex]

with

[tex] n! = n(n-1)! [/tex]

you get:

[tex] \frac{\frac{1}{2}(-\frac{1}{2})!}{(-\frac{1}{2})!(1)!} = \frac {1}{2} [/tex]

does it look like i have a hold on this here?

ok then... I really don't know if this is what I am suppose to use but would this be appropriate?

[tex] \Gamma (n + \frac {1}{2}) = \frac {(2n-1)!}{2^{n}} \sqrt{ \pi } = \left(^{n-\frac{1}{2}} _{\;\;n} \right) n! \sqrt{ \pi } [/tex]

If that's the right equation would I use that were the normal binomial theorem calls for a factorial of a fraction?

This is much more complicated that I had originally hoped.

Also how do I know when to stop? With the normal theorem using whole integers there should be n+1 terms for a binomial raised to the n powers, but when n = 1/2 n+1 = 3/2 or 1+ 1/2 terms, which does make sense.

As rock.freak667 said in post 2, with fractional or negative exponents, you get an infinite number of terms, unlike what happens when n is a positive integer.

ah so this is hopeless? No way to get a finite number of terms? Basically its an infinite sum?

Asphyxiated said:
ah so this is hopeless? No way to get a finite number of terms? Basically its an infinite sum?

The only way to get a finite number of terms is if you neglect certain powers and higher. So if you need to approximate a square root for example, to a certain degree of accuracy, higher terms will become negligible.

Related to Binomial Expansion Question - fractional powers

1. What is the Binomial Expansion Formula for fractional powers?

The Binomial Expansion Formula for fractional powers is (a+b)^n = a^n + na^(n-1)b + (n(n-1)/2!)a^(n-2)b^2 + ... + (n(n-1)...(n-r+1)/r!)a^(n-r)b^r + ... + b^n, where n is a fractional power.

2. How is the Binomial Expansion Formula for fractional powers derived?

The Binomial Expansion Formula for fractional powers can be derived using the Binomial Theorem, which states that (a+b)^n = ∑(k=0 to n) nCk * a^(n-k) * b^k, where nCk is the binomial coefficient. By replacing n with a fractional power, the formula can be expanded to include fractional powers.

3. What are some applications of the Binomial Expansion Formula for fractional powers?

The Binomial Expansion Formula for fractional powers is commonly used in probability and statistics, as well as in finance and economics. It is also used in physics and engineering to model complex systems and phenomena.

4. Can the Binomial Expansion Formula for fractional powers be applied to negative powers?

Yes, the Binomial Expansion Formula for fractional powers can be applied to negative powers. However, in this case, the formula may not converge and may result in complex or imaginary solutions.

5. How can the Binomial Expansion Formula for fractional powers be verified?

The Binomial Expansion Formula for fractional powers can be verified by substituting values for a, b, and n, and comparing the result with the expanded form of the formula. It can also be verified using mathematical induction or by using a calculator or spreadsheet to compute the expansion.