Binary star orbital inclination

In summary, the question poses a problem of determining the inclination of a binary star system's orbit due to the ambiguity of micrometer eyepiece measurements. One solution could be to analyze the redshifts and blueshifts of the secondary star, where a blue-shifted star moving downwards would indicate a lower orbital plane and a redshifted star moving downwards would indicate a higher orbital plane. However, this method may not be feasible if the two stars cannot be resolved.
joriarty
This question has been bugging me... I've rephrased the question a bit so it shouldn't require much astrophysics knowledge to understand, just a bit of regular physics.

Consider a binary star system. By doing some geometry based on visual observations of the positions of the two stars over time, we can figure out the inclination of the orbit of the secondary star around the primary. However we can't tell from micrometer eyepiece measurements alone whether this orbit is tilted towards or away from us. How do you think this ambiguity could be resolved?

I'm thinking we could analyse the redshifts and blueshifts of the secondary star. I am imagining a system in the sky where the secondary star orbits clockwise around the primary and the top of this elliptical orbit as we observe it is tilted away from us, but I can't think how the measured redshifts or blueshifts would change if the orbit was tilted the other way. Perhaps I am on the wrong track...

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how much information you have available. If the binary system is so close that you can't resolve the two stars (e.g. you can only see one 'spot' of light, and you are 'seeing' the orbit via other measurments) then there is no way to tell.

If you can resolve the stars, you could do exactly as you say: measure the Doppler shifts. If the star moving downwards (relative to your view) is also blue-shifted, then the closer star is lower (i.e. the orbital plane is inclined relative to your line of sight), if the star moving downwards is redshifted, then the closer star is higher (i.e. the orbital plane is declined [negative inclined] relative to your line of sight).

Related to Binary star orbital inclination

What is a binary star orbital inclination?

A binary star orbital inclination is the angle between the plane of a binary star's orbit and the plane of the sky as seen from Earth.

How is binary star orbital inclination measured?

Binary star orbital inclination can be measured through various methods, including astrometry, spectroscopy, and photometry.

What factors can affect the measurement of binary star orbital inclination?

The accuracy of binary star orbital inclination measurements can be affected by factors such as the orientation of the binary system, the presence of a third body, and the distance of the binary system from Earth.

What is the importance of knowing the orbital inclination of a binary star system?

The orbital inclination of a binary star system can provide valuable information about the formation and evolution of the system, as well as the physical properties of the stars themselves.

Can binary star orbital inclination change over time?

Yes, the orbital inclination of a binary star system can change over time due to gravitational interactions with other bodies, precession of the orbit, or other factors.