Billions of cicadas returning after 17 years

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Years
In summary, every 17 years, the cicadas return to the north east united states. There will be 1 billion cicadas per square mile, and their return will be accompanied by a loud chorus of chirping.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Every 17 years, the cicadas return to the north east united states. In the next few weeks it is estimated their will be ~1 billion cicadas per square mile.
“In places where they’re going to be present, it’s going to be spectacular. There could be as many as 1 billion cicadas emerging per square mile,” Michael Raupp, a professor of entomology at the University of Maryland, told 1010 WINS. Translation: Ick!

Cicadas spend most of their lives underground. Near the end of their lifespans they emerge to climb trees, shed their exoskeletons, sing, fly and mate. Both females and males die soon after the females lay their eggs. The next generation will emerge in 2030 to repeat the cycle all over again.

Aside from the mess and the loud mating calls, these swarms of critters are harmless. But their homecoming in the last stage of their lives is unforgettable to those who experience it thanks, in part, to how they serenade whole neighborhoods with their loud chorus of chirping.

"Most people say it is like a science-fiction movie UFO sound,” cicada researcher Dan Mozgai wrote to Yahoo News in an email.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/cicadas-coming-151907579.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool! I remember as a youth seeing the massive amounts of shells everywhere. WI usually sees a fair amount.

I remember that season in Maryland 2 cycles ago ... just unbelievable the number of them flying around and all those shells on all the trees. A real force of nature.

The Washington beltway got a bit dangerous with all those stupid things whacking into windshields and occasionally slamming into the window frame and startling the drivers.

I was there last time. It literally sounded like there was a helicopter outside my house. 24 hours a day for three weeks.

And you'd best not open your mouth outside...

My wife was driven crazy by the last big invasion here in 2004. She panicked so bad one time that she almost ran in front of a car. My big fear is that she'll see one in the car while she's driving.

Borg said:
My wife was driven crazy by the last big invasion here in 2004. She panicked so bad one time that she almost ran in front of a car. My big fear is that she'll see one in the car while she's driving.

When that big one came that I mentioned above, I was driving a car that had a wing vent and one of them bounced off the vent and smacked me right in the face while I was doing about 70 on the Washington Beltway. A bit scary there for a moment. Hope nothing like that happens to you wife.

phinds said:
When that big one came that I mentioned above, I was driving a car that had a wing vent and one of them bounced off the vent and smacked me right in the face while I was doing about 70 on the Washington Beltway. A bit scary there for a moment. Hope nothing like that happens to you wife.
Thanks, phinds. She will definitely have all of the windows closed. I'm more worried about one getting in while she's at work or slipping in as she enters the car and not announcing its presence until she's driving down the road.

Other than that, I'm actually looking forward to it.

Looking forward to it as well. In 2004, Brood X emerged in mid May (in central NJ). Our neighborhood had a heavy concentration of them that year.

Last edited:
I guess that it's too cold for them up here; I've never heard of them being in my area.
As for the noise, the neighbours did complain once because the ex- rubbed her legs together during mating, but that ended once I convinced her to shave.

Related to Billions of cicadas returning after 17 years

1. What causes cicadas to return after 17 years?

Cicadas return after 17 years due to a natural phenomenon known as "periodical cicada emergence." This is when a large number of cicadas emerge from the ground at the same time after spending 17 years underground as nymphs.

2. Why do cicadas only return every 17 years?

The 17-year cycle of cicada emergence is believed to be an evolutionary adaptation that helps them avoid predators. By emerging in such large numbers and in sync, the chances of survival for individual cicadas are increased.

3. Are there different types of cicadas that emerge after 17 years?

Yes, there are different "broods" of cicadas that emerge in different years. The brood that is emerging in a particular year is determined by the geographical location and is specific to that region.

4. How long do cicadas stay above ground after they emerge?

After emerging as nymphs, cicadas will spend about 4-6 weeks above ground. During this time, they will mate, lay eggs, and eventually die. Their offspring will then burrow underground and the cycle will repeat in another 17 years.

5. Do cicadas pose any threat to humans?

Cicadas do not pose any direct threat to humans. They do not bite or sting and are not known to transmit any diseases. However, their loud mating calls can be quite noisy and can be a nuisance to some people. Additionally, their sheer numbers can cause damage to trees and plants, but this is usually not significant enough to cause long-term harm.