Billiards rotational friction (side spin)

In summary, the conversation is about a simulation for billiards that lacks friction for ball rotation. The surface of the billiards table is aligned with the X-Z plane and the Y axis is perpendicular to the table's surface. The problem is how to modelize friction for a ball's rotational velocity component around the Y axis. The solution suggested is to do an experiment to determine the deceleration rate and find a frictional coefficient. The tricky part is estimating the initial rotation rate of the ball. The conversation also discusses a link with a deceleration rate for ball-cloth spin, but it's uncertain if it applies to side spin. Another question is posed about the acceleration of a pool ball on cloth with given parameters.
REEPER
Hey all, not sure if this is the right place to post this, I apologise if it is not.

I've created a basic Billiards simulation but there's a type of friction I lack with regards to ball rotation.
Using an orthonormal basis to give an orientation: the surface of the Billiards table is aligned with the X-Z plane and the Y axis is perpendicular to the table's surface. My problem is that I don't know how to modelise friction for a ball's rotational velocity component around the Y axis.
I understand the ball will be sitting in a sort of cup in the felt and its friction in this cup will slow it down, but I'm not sure how best to represent this friction and what sort of coefficients I'm dealing with.
Any help with shedding some light on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the friction produces a torque about the Y direction which will cause a spinning ball to stop rotating.

You may have to do an experiment: how long does it take a spinning ball to come to a stop, and then what coefficient will give the same spin-down time in the simulation?

The tricky part will be estimating the initial rotation rate of the ball.

Redbelly98 said:
Well, the friction produces a torque about the Y direction which will cause a spinning ball to stop rotating.

You may have to do an experiment: how long does it take a spinning ball to come to a stop, and then what coefficient will give the same spin-down time in the simulation?

The tricky part will be estimating the initial rotation rate of the ball.

I unfortunately don't have the equipment or the time to determine the deceleration rate along the Y axis in practice. I was hoping someone might know where I could find a frictional coefficient or deceleration rate for side spin between a billiards ball and the table felt, as I haven't had any luck thus far finding them myself.

edit:

I've found a link with a deceleration rate for ball-cloth spin, but I'm not certain if its for side spin

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/physics.html

Last edited:
I don't know if this is exactly right, but I think a constant torque independent of the angular velocity of the ball will cause it to stop. From the link you've found, the angular deceleration is given to be 11rads/s.

We know,

[tex]\tao =I\alpha[/tex]
[tex]w=w_0 -\alpha t[/tex]

For a solid sphere, [tex]I=\frac{2}{5}mr^2[/tex], using the second equation, equating [tex]\omega[/tex] to 0 (as the ball stops spinning) gives you the time required. The rest of the parameters are dependent on your simulation.

hi there..

i hope someone is still reading this. i have got a tricky question and i am really not getting anywhere with my thoughts..

let's imagine someone is accelerating a pool ball up to certain angular velocity (picture --> ω) while the ball has no contact to the cloth.
then the ball is lowered onto the cloth.. due to the fricition it will move to the -x - direction. but how fast will it accelerate?
ball diameter: 2.25 in
ball mass: 6 oz
ball-cloth coefficient of sliding friction (m): 0.2
ball-cloth spin deceleration rate: 11 rad/sec2
ω: f.e. 50 rad/s
[URL]http://img691.imageshack.us/i/billardkugelneu.jpg/[/URL]
http://img691.imageshack.us/i/billardkugelneu.jpg/"

can someone help me out?
thanks
felix

p.s.: sorry for possible spelling errors!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Billiards rotational friction (side spin)

1. What is rotational friction in billiards?

Rotational friction in billiards, also known as side spin, is a type of spin that is applied to the cue ball to change its trajectory. It is created by hitting the cue ball off-center, causing it to spin as it travels across the table. This spin creates a frictional force that alters the direction of the cue ball after contact with other balls or rails.

2. How does rotational friction affect the path of the cue ball?

Rotational friction can significantly change the path of the cue ball. It can be used to make the cue ball curve or swerve around other balls, allowing for more precise shots and better position play. It can also be used to control the speed and distance that the cue ball travels after contact with other balls or rails.

3. What factors influence the amount of rotational friction on the cue ball?

The amount of rotational friction on the cue ball is influenced by several factors, including the amount of spin applied, the surface and condition of the table, and the type of cloth used on the table. The angle and speed at which the cue ball is struck also play a role in the amount of rotational friction created.

4. Can rotational friction be used to prevent a scratch in billiards?

Yes, rotational friction can be used to prevent a scratch in billiards. By applying side spin to the cue ball, it can be directed to avoid pockets or other obstacles on the table. However, it requires a skilled player to accurately control the amount and direction of the side spin to avoid a scratch.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using rotational friction in billiards?

While rotational friction can be a useful tool in billiards, it also has some disadvantages. If not applied correctly, it can cause the cue ball to miss the intended target or not travel far enough. It also requires a lot of practice and skill to master, and even then, it can be unpredictable due to the various factors that can affect its effectiveness.