Bike Touring America: Dreams and Challenges

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person's desire to tour America on their bike in three to four weeks. They ask if anyone would offer a place to stay and if it's possible to get through customs without any issues. The other person suggests starting in Maine and taking a scenic route through New Hampshire, Vermont, and New York. They also mention the long, boring ride through the plains states if they want to travel west of the Mississippi River. Another person suggests checking out the roads in California and offers a place to stay as well, but advises against riding on twisty roads due to safety concerns. The conversation ends with a playful reminder to not call the person by the wrong name.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
To visit America and tour on my bike, if i had three weeks how many of
you could i visit, (if you would even entertain the idea) would any of you offer me a place to doss down, a barn or out house would do, could i even get through customs? if i kept my big mouth shut and did not insult a uniformed officer, i am saving my pennies, in the hope that my dream will come true.

Physics news on Phys.org
well, if you come through tennessee you might actually see an out house..and if you're lucky you might not get shot by people thinking you were trespassing...sorry :-p

Are you sure it's worth it?

Riding around the US would probably suck. It's probably best to drive a car and drop off your bike at the good parts. The good parts are so far apart it's not worth the boring riding pain to get to another part.

In 3 weeks, I would say you can cover one coast maybe not even. Assuming you plan on stopping and enjoying yourself once and awhile. Also, assuming you aren't just going to drive on the boring highway.

But then you have the Central US and the opposite coast to do!

I you want to make a swing through Maine, I can lead you on some really fine bike rides. The coast is pretty, but my favorite rides (with a LOT less traffic) involve twisty, hilly roads in the western mountains. We've only got one bedroom, and no couch, but if you've got a bedroll and don't mind the floor, we can put you up for a bit. From here, a 6-hour ride through the beauty of northern New Hampshire and Vermont puts you in upstate New York, then you could explore Pennsylvania, drop down through the Pittsburg area and south to western Maryland and West Virgina. Many, many twisty hilly roads through that region. You can get anywhere you want on some scenic roads, without having to resort to the Interstate highway system. You could see quite a bit of the Eastern US in three weeks. I will warn you that if you want to travel west of the Mississippi River, you are in for some long hours of boring driving to get across the plains states. Of course, if you're in Maine, one fun trip is to board the ferry at Bar Harbor and make a one-way run to Nova Scotia. I prefer the coastal run north along the Bay of Fundy, then cross through New Brunswick back to Maine. There are lots of parks and historical sites on that run.

JasonRox said:
Are you sure it's worth it?

Riding around the US would probably suck. It's probably best to drive a car and drop off your bike at the good parts. The good parts are so far apart it's not worth the boring riding pain to get to another part.

In 3 weeks, I would say you can cover one coast maybe not even. Assuming you plan on stopping and enjoying yourself once and awhile. Also, assuming you aren't just going to drive on the boring highway.

But then you have the Central US and the opposite coast to do!

Jason the first obstacle is customs, how difficult is it? and surly there is a
place i could start from and see some of Americas wonderful sights in three or if i push it four weeks.

turbo-1 said:
I you want to make a swing through Maine, I can lead you on some really fine bike rides. The coast is pretty, but my favorite rides (with a LOT less traffic) involve twisty, hilly roads in the western mountains. We've only got one bedroom, and no couch, but if you've got a bedroll and don't mind the floor, we can put you up for a bit. From here, a 6-hour ride through the beauty of northern New Hampshire and Vermont puts you in upstate New York, then you could explore Pennsylvania, drop down through the Pittsburg area and south to western Maryland and West Virgina. Many, many twisty hilly roads through that region. You can get anywhere you want on some scenic roads, without having to resort to the Interstate highway system. You could see quite a bit of the Eastern US in three weeks. I will warn you that if you want to travel west of the Mississippi River, you are in for some long hours of boring driving to get across the plains states. Of course, if you're in Maine, one fun trip is to board the ferry at Bar Harbor and make a one-way run to Nova Scotia. I prefer the coastal run north along the Bay of Fundy, then cross through New Brunswick back to Maine. There are lots of parks and historical sites on that run.

Turbo, even a boring ride is cool with good people, i have all ways found that people make the experience better.

wolram said:
Jason the first obstacle is customs, how difficult is it? and surly there is a
place i could start from and see some of Americas wonderful sights in three or if i push it four weeks.
First of all, you need to stop calling Jason Shirley :rolleyes:

Second, spend some time checking out the roads in California:

http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

My favorite is Mines Road from Livermore up the backside of Mt. Hamilton. Very few cars, no police, and lots of 3-dimensional twisties. There can be patches of gravel, though, so you have to know how to look for those. I don't ride the twisties much anymore, though -- just too dangerous. I take my sportbike to the racetrack to get my speed fix instead. If you end up here in NorCal on your bike tour, I'll take you up Mines Road though. And you can spend a night at our house as well. Just don't call me Shirley. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have time riding through the mountains of British Columbia is a beautiful ride that should not be missed, the scenery is just awesome.

scorpa said:
If you have time riding through the mountains of British Columbia is a beautiful ride that should not be missed, the scenery is just awesome.

This is what i am looking for, it is just the legalities of geting into America i
worry about, after that it would be a reliance on charitable people to give me a place to lay my head.

Well replies are thin, but if any of you want to visit the UK, you would have a warm welcome and free run of my cott, and i would go out of my way to make sure your visit was enjoyable.

You are welcome here in the pit of doom Wolram. :smile: I can put you up in the Chinchilla Palace aka JAWS OF DEATH, it even has a skylight. Damn dog doesn't use it. "I'd" live in it, it's damn nice. 12' by 8', cross ventilated windows, I installed insulation in the walls.

wolram said:
This is what i am looking for, it is just the legalities of geting into America i
worry about, after that it would be a reliance on charitable people to give me a place to lay my head.

Well if you would be willing there are a lot of campgrounds in that area if you wouldn't mind going that route. Definitely try to go through B.C it is a beautful place. We were in Revelstoke last year for a holiday and happened to meet a couple from Australia who said that nothing in Australia could ever compare to the beauty of the mountains in Canada. Riding in Vancouver Island would be nice as well, the roads are very twisty ...however it takes forever to get anywhere as the speed limits are so low due to the twisty roads.

scorpa said:
BC is a gorgeous place! Isn't there a train ride to Banff that is supposed to be spectacular?

I think going through the mountainous(more like hilly) lands of Chattanooga(sp?), TN...there's actually a Chattanooga Choo Choo that takes you through some of the landscapes...other than that I suggest going to the beach :cool:

Evo said:
You are welcome here in the pit of doom Wolram. :smile: I can put you up in the Chinchilla Palace aka JAWS OF DEATH, it even has a skylight. Damn dog doesn't use it. "I'd" live in it, it's damn nice. 12' by 8', cross ventilated windows, I installed insulation in the walls.

Sounds like my kind of place :smile:

wolram said:
worry about
Why would you worry?

As long as you don't smile at customs you should be fine :biggrin:

J77 said:
Why would you worry?

As long as you don't smile at customs you should be fine :biggrin:

Last time i visited the US i crossed a line at customs and got into trouble .
i was tired and did not mean to call the big police lady a battle axe.

wolram said:
Last time i visited the US i crossed a line at customs and got into trouble .
i was tired and did not mean to call the big police lady a battle axe.
You talked to a US customs person??!

Big mistake.

Simple rules: look directly ahead, hand passport over when asked, give exact address of where you'll be staying, walk on (not too fast).

:biggrin:

Related to Bike Touring America: Dreams and Challenges

1. What is bike touring America?

Bike touring America is the act of traveling long distances on a bicycle, typically over several days or weeks, with the purpose of exploring and experiencing different parts of the United States. It combines the physical challenge of cycling with the adventure of discovering new places.

2. What are the main challenges of bike touring America?

The main challenges of bike touring America include physical stamina and endurance, navigating unfamiliar terrain, dealing with weather conditions, and finding suitable places to rest and refuel. It also requires proper planning and preparation to ensure a safe and enjoyable journey.

3. What are some popular routes for bike touring America?

Some popular routes for bike touring America include the Pacific Coast Highway, the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route, and the TransAmerica Trail. These routes offer stunning scenery, challenging terrain, and opportunities to visit iconic landmarks and cities.

4. How much does it cost to go on a bike tour of America?

The cost of bike touring America can vary greatly depending on factors such as the route chosen, the length of the tour, and the type of accommodations and meals. On average, it can cost anywhere from $50 to $150 per day, including expenses for food, lodging, and gear.

5. What are some tips for a successful bike tour of America?

Some tips for a successful bike tour of America include proper physical training and conditioning, researching and planning the route in advance, packing essential gear and supplies, staying hydrated and well-fed during the tour, and being flexible and open to unexpected challenges and experiences.