Bijection proof for set products

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that A1 x T and A2 x T are bijective by finding a function between them that satisfies the properties of a bijection. It is suggested that the function g(a1,t) = (f(a1),t), where f is a bijection between A1 and A2, can serve as this function. There is also a discussion about whether all functions from T to T are bijections, to which it is clarified that only one bijection is needed to prove the bijectivity of A1 x T and A2 x T.
The1TL
Let A1, A2, T be non-empty sets such that A1 is bijective to A2.

Show that A1 × T is bijective to A2 × T

So far I've been able to show that for any b where b is an element of A2, there must be some a within A1 such that f(a) = b. I've been able to do the same for proving injectivity between A1 and A2. I just can't figure out how to apply this to A1 x T and A2 x T.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]f: A_1 \rightarrow A_2[/itex] be a bijection between [itex]A_1[/itex] and [itex]A_2[/itex]. Can you find a bijection between [itex]A_1 \times \ T[/itex] and [itex]A_2 \times \ T[/itex]?

exactly, I am pretty sure I need to prove that for some function g: A1 x T --> A2 x T , any (a2, t2) that is an element of A2 x T must have some element (a1,t1) in A1 x T such that g(a1,t1) = (a2,t2). I am just not sure how to show this. I have the same problem with showing the injective aspect of the bijection proof.

Here's another hint: If T is any non-empty set, you can always find a bijection between T and itself.

given the bijection f, is k:A1 x T → A2 x T

given by k(a1,t) = (f(a1),t) a bijection?

but is it necessarily true that T must be a bijection to itself?

isn't the function t→t, for all t in T a bijection? let's give it a name, we'll call it g.

so g(t) = t, for all t in T.

is it unclear to you whether or not this is a bijection?

I see how that specific function is a bijection. But I don't see how all functions from T to T would have to be bijections.

we don't need to find "all" bijections between A1 xT and A2 x T. just one will do.

Related to Bijection proof for set products

1. What is a bijection proof for set products?

A bijection proof for set products is a mathematical method used to show that two sets have the same number of elements. It involves finding a one-to-one correspondence, or bijection, between the elements of the two sets.

2. How is a bijection proof different from other types of proofs?

A bijection proof is different from other types of proofs because it relies on establishing a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of two sets, rather than showing that one set is a subset of the other or that the two sets have equivalent elements.

3. Why is a bijection proof useful?

A bijection proof is useful because it provides a rigorous and logical way to show that two sets have the same number of elements. This can be helpful in various mathematical and scientific contexts, such as in combinatorics and group theory.

4. What are some key steps in a bijection proof for set products?

Some key steps in a bijection proof for set products include defining a function that maps elements from one set to the other, showing that the function is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto), and using this to establish a bijection between the two sets.

5. Can a bijection proof be used for infinite sets?

Yes, a bijection proof can be used for infinite sets. In this case, the bijection would need to be defined in a way that accounts for the infinite nature of the sets, such as through a recursive function or a mapping using the natural numbers.