Big trouble with Kerr solution

• Thread starter Dmitry67
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kerr
In summary, the 'ideal' schwarzschild solution includes a 'white hole' part, which is excluded, or course, from a 'realistic' collapse solution. This is because a realistic collapsing object will replace the 'white hole' part of the Schwarzschild solution with an interior (non-vacuum) solution. The same thing happens to Kerr. In the real world, the anomalous portion of vacuum Kerr will be replaced by a collapsing non-vacuum solution, and so is not present within any rotating black hole that was formed by collapse. However, there is a weak curvature singularity at the inner (Cauchy) horizon of a rotating black hole.
Dmitry67
'Ideal' schwarzschild solution is for an eternal black hole. It also includes a 'white hole' part, which is excluded, or course, from a 'realistic' collapse solution.

What's about the kerr solution? Inside kerr black hole there is ring with enougmous frame dragging around it, so strong, that it creates CTL around it. In fact, the ring itself is not a ring in space, but a ring in time - a perfect example of CTL.

However, such ring must be also eternal - as it is looped in time, in can't be formed in a first place. So apparently that beautiful ring is also a part of an 'idealistic' kerr Black hole. I wonder, what is inside a realistic rotating black hole?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dmitry67, the closed timelike lines in the vacuum Kerr solution are restricted to a particular region r < 0.

As you say correctly, a collapsing object will replace the 'white hole' part of the Schwarzschild solution with an interior (non-vacuum) solution. The same thing happens to Kerr. In the real world, the anomalous portion of vacuum Kerr will be replaced by a collapsing non-vacuum solution, and so is not present within any rotating black hole that was formed by collapse.

Hm...
So what is inside a second horizon of a realistic Kerr Black hole?

Dmitry67 said:
'Ideal' schwarzschild solution is for an eternal black hole. It also includes a 'white hole' part, which is excluded, or course, from a 'realistic' collapse solution.

What's about the kerr solution? Inside kerr black hole there is ring with enougmous frame dragging around it, so strong, that it creates CTL around it. In fact, the ring itself is not a ring in space, but a ring in time - a perfect example of CTL.

However, such ring must be also eternal - as it is looped in time, in can't be formed in a first place. So apparently that beautiful ring is also a part of an 'idealistic' kerr Black hole. I wonder, what is inside a realistic rotating black hole?

Bill_K said:
Dmitry67, the closed timelike lines in the vacuum Kerr solution are restricted to a particular region r < 0.

As you say correctly, a collapsing object will replace the 'white hole' part of the Schwarzschild solution with an interior (non-vacuum) solution. The same thing happens to Kerr. In the real world, the anomalous portion of vacuum Kerr will be replaced by a collapsing non-vacuum solution, and so is not present within any rotating black hole that was formed by collapse.

See the figure between pages 14 and 15 from the link below.
Dmitry67 said:
Hm...
So what is inside a second horizon of a realistic Kerr Black hole?

There is a weak curvature singularity at the inner (Cauchy) horizon of a rotating black hole. Seminal work on this was done by Poisson and Israel, and this work was continued by Ori. See

http://physics.technion.ac.il/~school/Amos_Ori.pdf ,

particularly pages 15, starting at "Consequence to the curvature singularity at the IH: (IH = Inner Horizon), 16, and 24. On page 24, Ori says that classical general relativity cannot predict what happens inside the inner horizon,

For Novikov's take on this, see

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0304052.

Roughly, if components of g (the metric) are continuous but "pointy" (like the absolute value function), then first derivatives of g have step diiscontinuities (like the Heaviside step function), and second derivatives of g (used in the curvature tensor) are like Dirac delta functions. If a curvature singularity blows up like a Dirac delta function, then integration produces only a finite contribution to the tidal deformation of an object, which, if the object is robust enough, it can withstand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Thank you.
So there is no answer.

But I failed to understand why GR can't make predictions in that case. Numerical approach works when everything else fails... What am I missing?

Dmitry67 said:
Wow. Thank you.
So there is no answer.

But I failed to understand why GR can't make predictions in that case. Numerical approach works when everything else fails... What am I missing?

Ori says that numerical work might be sufficient to determine the evolution of the inner horizon, not that numerical work will predict what happens inside the inner horizon.

Thank you.
Is there any progress in related problem - formation of superextreme black holes? I remember, there were some numerical simulations showing that it was possible.
Interesting how realistic naked singularity would look like.

Well, I think this is much worse than I expected.

It is not about the ability to solve the equations - the claim in the article should be taken literally: GR can't predict what happens inside BH - even if you try numerical approach.

At first, I have to admit that I was wrong: CTLs can be ‘created’ and even can be limited in 'external' time - eternal inside, they can be created and they can dissipate. However, it is possible that there are objects inside these CTLs with circular trajectories. Such objects are eternal: they are not created, they just exists ‘forever’ inside CTLs.

But when CTL is ‘created’, how many eternal objects are inside? Say, there is a blob of iron… or may be plumber? Or plasma? Hot or cold? A spectrum of options can be compatible with the boundary conditions of CTL. Usually, we predict future by calculating the trajectories of particles in curved spacetime. In case of CTLs. We can't do that. We get an area of spacetime, which has no past. Hence, we can’t predict what is inside.

It is not a problem of getting analytics solutions, all numerical methods will fail miserably.

Related to Big trouble with Kerr solution

1. What is the Kerr solution?

The Kerr solution is a mathematical solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity that describes the space-time around a rotating black hole.

2. What is the significance of the Kerr solution?

The Kerr solution was the first exact solution to Einstein's equations that described a rotating black hole. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of black holes, as well as in astrophysical observations and theoretical studies.

3. What is the big trouble with the Kerr solution?

The big trouble with the Kerr solution is that it predicts the existence of a singularity, or a point of infinite density, at the center of the black hole. This leads to many mathematical and physical problems, such as the breakdown of classical physics and the inability to accurately describe the behavior of matter near the singularity.

4. Can the Kerr solution be tested or observed?

Yes, the Kerr solution has been tested and confirmed through observations of rotating black holes in the universe, such as the one at the center of our own Milky Way galaxy. However, due to the extreme conditions near the black hole, direct observation or testing is still challenging.

5. How does the Kerr solution relate to the theory of relativity?

The Kerr solution is a direct result of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the relationship between gravity, space, and time. It is one of the most important and well-known solutions in the theory of relativity and has greatly contributed to our understanding of the universe.