Any progress on realistic rotating black holes?

In summary: Mathematical_approaches_to_the_problem_of_spacetime_relativity And nothing since 2010... Looks like all GPU resources on the planet were allocated to bitcoin mining
tzimie
Idealistic solution for non-rotating BH includes a "white hole part"
However, realistic solution is different
lightcone-bh.gif

For the rotating BH we have an ideal solution with an "eternal" ring singularity inside, which can't be realistic, as ring, as I said, is "eternal" and there is no transition of collapsing matter into that ring.

tslicekerrspacetime-.gif

So for the rotating BH we I know only the "idealistic" picture.
The questions I have:
1. Is there any progress on that subject?
2. Can it be solved, in principle, without taking QM into account (as QM can be preventing spacetime from forming CTLs)
3. Even not taking QM into account, what is a difference between the rotating BH in standard GR and Einstein–Cartan theory? How far that difference "propagate"? Does it propagate to the exterior of BH?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a fair amount of work on the topic, I believe. I don't have a complete list, but I know Andrew Hamilton has a few papers. One such is arxiv https://arxiv.org/abs/0903.2021. ((Add: also https://arxiv.org/abs/1108.3512 and https://arxiv.org/abs/1010.1272 - do an author search on arxiv for potentially more)). Ori has some papers too, see for instance http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.68.2117

Hamilton's work is based on earlier papers by Poisson IIRC.

Don't regard this reply as thourogh survey of the literature - it's not. It's basically a couple of papers that might help you get started and track down more papers.

Last edited:
pervect said:
Alexander Hamilton

I think you mean Andrew Hamilton. AFAIK the first Secretary of the Treasury didn't go and hover close to a black hole's horizon for a while and then come back to Earth a couple of centuries later to take up physics. :wink:

PeterDonis said:
I think you mean Andrew Hamilton. AFAIK the first Secretary of the Treasury didn't go and hover close to a black hole's horizon for a while and then come back to Earth a couple of centuries later to take up physics. :wink:
Fixed

I would guess that it is a difficult question. Even for the "outside" part of the space-time not all is understood. For example uniqueness questions (with reasonable assumptions i.e. without analyticity) and stability questions are not yet settled.

martinbn said:
I would guess that it is a difficult question. Even for the "outside" part of the space-time not all is understood. For example uniqueness questions (with reasonable assumptions i.e. without analyticity) and stability questions are not yet settled.

Even this question could be too difficult to solve it analytically, I expected to find numerical solutions. But the most recent I found was dated 2010,
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1006.0663.pdf
already with CUDA usage. However, they had assumed the existence of the inner horizon (and I am not sure it exists - inside the inner horizon lies an area with CTLs, QM prevents CTLs, so probably there is no inner horizon at all )))

And nothing since 2010... Looks like all GPU resources on the planet were allocated to bitcoin mining )

Related to Any progress on realistic rotating black holes?

1. What are the current theories on the formation of rotating black holes?

There are several theories on the formation of rotating black holes, but the most widely accepted one is the collapse of a massive star. When a star runs out of fuel, it can no longer resist its own gravitational force, causing it to collapse and form a black hole.

2. How do rotating black holes affect their surroundings?

Rotating black holes have a strong gravitational pull, which can warp the space-time around them. This can affect the motion of nearby objects, such as stars and gas, and can also cause the emission of powerful jets of energy.

3. Can we observe rotating black holes?

Yes, we can indirectly observe rotating black holes through their effects on their surroundings. These effects can be detected through various methods, such as analyzing the motion of stars or measuring the radiation emitted from the accretion disk around the black hole.

4. What is the current progress on understanding the properties of rotating black holes?

Scientists have made significant progress in understanding the properties of rotating black holes through theoretical models and observations. However, there are still many unanswered questions, such as the precise mechanism of energy emission from black holes and the behavior of matter near the event horizon.

5. Are there any potential practical applications of studying rotating black holes?

Studying rotating black holes can provide valuable insights into the laws of physics under extreme conditions and can also help us better understand the formation and evolution of our universe. Additionally, the technologies and methods developed for studying black holes can have practical applications in other areas of science and technology.