Big Breakfast Once a Year: Indulge in 2 Sausages, 6 Bacon, 2 Pudding & More

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the Skinhead Special consisted of a large, thin pan-fried flank steak, home-fried potatoes, fried eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, biscuits with gravy, grits, stack of flapjacks, toast, coffee, orange juice, and more. The meal was reportedly expensive and filling, and it was not something that the average person would be able to eat in one sitting.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Once or twice a year i indulge in a big breakfast, this morning i had,

2 sausages.
6 rashers of streaky smoked bacon, cooked crispy
2 slices of black pudding.
2 rounds of fried bread 1/2 inch thick, i spread it thinly both sides with dripping then grill.
1 hand full mushrooms.
2 tomatoes, i halve them and dip in brown sugar, fry
1 potato cut into 1/2 inch cubes, par boiled, dredged in strong flour and fried.
1 small tin baked beans.
2 eggs, the whites partly crispy and yolk runny
All fried in beef dripping in an oven tin over 2 rings of the hob.
2 rounds of toast 1/2 inch thick, with salted butter and greengage jam.
1 mug coffee.
That should do until about May.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I'd die if I ate that. I think someone should do a calorie count for fun. Sounds good though, I might do one on Sunday.

Never heard of doing fried bread your way though, I normally chuck it in the pan with the bacon.

The best Thanksgivings are the ones that you make.

I can eat alot, and even I think that is a lot of food!

I wouldn't eat that more than twice a year, for the sake of your heart.:rolleyes:

Years back, at the urging of an employee of one of my consulting clients, I dropped in at a breakfast-only restaurant in Paducah, KY. The place was called Skinhead's (the nickname of the big bald ex-Navy cook who owned the joint). The guy had told me to order the Skinhead Special. I did, and I found out that if you ordered the Special, you got at least one of everything on the menu. It was a while back, but as much as I can remember:

A large, thin pan-fried flank steak
home-fried potatoes
fried eggs
baked beans
bacon
sausage
biscuits w/ gravy
grits
stack of flapjacks
toast made from Skinhead's baked-daily bread
endless coffee
orange juice

There was more, too. The waitress had to make several trips from the kitchen to the counter in order to deliver it all. The place was open from about 4 am to 11 am daily, and it was packed.

Darn! I just tried looking up the place on-line, and they closed in 2001.

http://www.aboutpaducah.com/articles/localhighlights/58.html

By heck Turbo that is a Desperate Dan meal, did anyone ever eat it all?

wolram said:
By heck Turbo that is a Desperate Dan meal, did anyone ever eat it all?
I gave it my best shot, but I think I left some pancakes, French toast, and other starchy stuff. I did fine by the steak, potatoes, beans, eggs, sausage, bacon, etc, and had some of the grits (I do like them). I managed to pack in all the protein-rich stuff, since that would stick with me (no lunch places out at that remote mill I was working at).

If I recall, the Special was a little over $6. The waitress got a really good tip - she kept "heating up" my black coffee and asking if there was anything I needed. She was smirking a bit when I was cashing up, asking if I wouldn't like to sit back down and have a piece of fresh apple pie... I couldn't have tucked in a grain of rice, I was so full.

Related to Big Breakfast Once a Year: Indulge in 2 Sausages, 6 Bacon, 2 Pudding & More

What is "Big Breakfast Once a Year"?

"Big Breakfast Once a Year" is a term used to describe a large, indulgent breakfast meal that typically includes 2 sausages, 6 bacon strips, 2 pudding, and other items.

Why is "Big Breakfast Once a Year" only recommended for consumption once a year?

As the name suggests, "Big Breakfast Once a Year" is meant to be a special indulgence and not a regular part of one's diet. Consuming such a high-calorie and high-fat meal on a regular basis can have negative effects on one's health.

Is "Big Breakfast Once a Year" a healthy meal choice?

No, "Big Breakfast Once a Year" is not considered a healthy meal choice due to its high calorie and fat content. It should be enjoyed in moderation and balanced with a healthy diet and regular exercise.

What are the potential health risks of consuming "Big Breakfast Once a Year"?

Consuming "Big Breakfast Once a Year" can lead to weight gain and increase the risk of developing chronic health conditions such as heart disease and diabetes. It is important to limit the frequency of indulging in such a high-calorie meal.

Are there any healthier alternatives to "Big Breakfast Once a Year"?

Yes, there are many healthier alternatives to "Big Breakfast Once a Year" that can still be indulgent and satisfying. This could include incorporating more fruits and vegetables into the meal, opting for leaner protein sources, and limiting the amount of processed foods and added sugars.