BibTeX Formatting Help for Last Name First Style

• Thread starter slugbunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bibtex
In summary, BibTeX is a tool used to generate bibliographies and reference lists in LaTeX documents. It uses a plain text file with specific formatting and supports Last Name First Style, which lists the author's last name first in the reference. To format references in this style, the "author" field must be used with the author's last name listed first, followed by a comma and their first name or initials. This style can also be used in other citation styles, such as APA or MLA, but the formatting may differ. In cases of multiple authors, each author's last name should be listed first, separated by "and" before the last author's name.
slugbunny
Bibtex: formating help!

In my references, I want:

Emanuel, Kerry A. The dependence of hurricane intensity on climate. Nature, 326:483–485, 1987. <GOOD!

Emanuel, K. A. The dependence of hurricane intensity on climate. Nature, 326:483–485, 1987. <OR THIS, I WANT!

Basically, I just want the last name to be first. But I get:

Kerry A. Emanuel. The dependence of hurricane intensity on climate. Nature, 326:483–485, 1987. <BAD.

I'm using natbib. Help.

Physics news on Phys.org

I got it.

\bibliographystyle{acm}
\bibliography{radiodeers}
\nocite{*}

However, I just get a () with in-text citations

\citep{humans} --> ()

Related to BibTeX Formatting Help for Last Name First Style

1. What is BibTeX Formatting?

BibTeX is a tool used to automatically generate bibliographies and reference lists in LaTeX documents. It uses a plain text file with specific formatting to organize and manage references.

2. What is Last Name First Style?

Last Name First Style is a specific formatting style used in BibTeX, where the last name of the author is listed first in the reference, followed by their first name or initials.

3. How do I format my references in Last Name First Style using BibTeX?

To format your references in Last Name First Style, you need to use the "author" field in your BibTeX entry. The author's last name should be listed first, followed by a comma and their first name or initials.

4. Can I use Last Name First Style in other citation styles?

Yes, you can use Last Name First Style in other citation styles such as APA or MLA. However, the specific formatting may differ slightly, so it is important to check the guidelines for each style.

5. How do I handle multiple authors in Last Name First Style?

If there are multiple authors, each author's last name should be listed first, separated by the word "and" before the last author's name. For example: Smith, John and Brown, Sarah.