Bi-variate Non-Homogeneous Polynomial Conceptual Question

In summary, the roots of the polynomial (2x+3y)^2-1=0 are x=3n+2 and y=-2n-1, where n is any integer. The fact that the roots have arbitrary large coordinates means that they can be found throughout the coordinate plane.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

I have found the roots of my polynomial:
## (2x+3y)^{2}-1 =0 ##
Roots are x=3n+2 & y=-2n-1, where n belongs to all Z.
What does it mean that the solution has arbitrary large coordinates?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I know the basic concept of root. It could be that in this case the surface (has defined solutions) intersect some other plane at 0 in both points
Also, if it has arbitrary large coordinates as roots, it is because the axis of the surface or part of the surface runs through all solutions in the form above.
Am I right?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct. The fact that the coordinates of the roots have arbitrary large values means that as n increases, the values of x and y increase without bound. This in turn means that the solutions to the equation can be found in all parts of the coordinate plane, and not just in a finite area.

Related to Bi-variate Non-Homogeneous Polynomial Conceptual Question

1. What is a bi-variate non-homogeneous polynomial?

A bi-variate non-homogeneous polynomial is a mathematical expression that contains two variables and their respective exponents, with at least one term having a degree of one or more. It is not considered homogeneous because the exponents of the variables do not match.

2. How is a bi-variate non-homogeneous polynomial different from a bi-variate homogeneous polynomial?

The main difference between a bi-variate non-homogeneous polynomial and a bi-variate homogeneous polynomial is that the latter has all terms with matching exponents. This means that all terms have the same degree and there are no constants in the equation.

3. What is the purpose of studying bi-variate non-homogeneous polynomials?

Studying bi-variate non-homogeneous polynomials is important in mathematics and other fields, such as physics and engineering. It allows for the representation of complex relationships between two variables and can be used to model real-world phenomena.

4. How are bi-variate non-homogeneous polynomials graphed?

Bi-variate non-homogeneous polynomials can be graphed by plotting points on a graph with the two variables as the x and y axes. The resulting curve will depend on the degree and coefficients of the polynomial, and can have various shapes such as parabolas, hyperbolas, or ellipses.

5. What is the process for solving a system of equations involving bi-variate non-homogeneous polynomials?

To solve a system of equations involving bi-variate non-homogeneous polynomials, you can use substitution or elimination methods. This involves isolating one variable in one equation and substituting it into the other equation, or combining the equations and cancelling out one variable to solve for the other. The solution will be the point where the two equations intersect on the graph.