Bi Linear Functionals and Symmetry

In summary, ##B_1(u,v)=\int_a^b (p(x) u \cdot v + q(x) \frac{du}{dx} \cdot v)dx## is a bilinear functional that is not symmetric. This is shown by the fact that when u and v are interchanged, the dot product ##u \cdot v## is also interchanged, making the functional not symmetric.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Show that ## \displaystyle B_1(u,v)=\int_a^b (p(x) u \cdot v + q(x) \frac{du}{dx} \cdot v)dx## is a bilinear functional and is NOT symmetric

Homework Statement

Bilinear relation ##B(\alpha u_1+\beta u_2,v)=\alpha B(u_1,v) +\beta B(u_2,v)## (1)
##B(u, \alpha v_1+ \beta v_2)=\alpha B(u,v_1) +\beta B(u,v_2)## (2)

Symmetry ##B(u,v)=B(v,u)##

where u and v are vectors and ##u\cdot v## is the dot product

Homework Equations

##\displaystyle B(\alpha u_1+\beta u_2,v)=\int_a^b \left( p(x)(\alpha u_1+\beta u_2) \cdot (v)+q(x) \frac{d}{dx} (\alpha u_1+\beta u_2) \cdot v \right) dx##

## \displaystyle=\int_a^b \left ((p(x)\alpha u_1 \cdot v+p(x) \beta u_2 \cdot v +q(x) \alpha \frac{d u_1}{dx} \cdot v+q(x) \beta \frac{ d u_2}{dx}\cdot v \right) dx## which after re-arranging gives

##\alpha B(u_1,v) +\beta B(u_2,v)##

Similarly for the RHS of (2). THis shows it is bilinear.

However, I am not sure I understand the concept of symmetry in this case that it is not symmetric?

Physics news on Phys.org
bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Show that ## \displaystyle B_1(u,v)=\int_a^b (p(x) u \cdot v + q(x) \frac{du}{dx} \cdot v)dx## is a bilinear functional and is NOT symmetric

Homework Statement

Bilinear relation ##B(\alpha u_1+\beta u_2,v)=\alpha B(u_1,v) +\beta B(u_2,v)## (1)

Homework Equations

##\displaystyle B(\alpha u_1+\beta u_2,v)=\int_a^b \left( p(x)(\alpha u_1+\beta u_2) \cdot (v)+q(x) \frac{d}{dx} (\alpha u_1+\beta u_2) \cdot v \right) dx##

## \displaystyle=\int_a^b \left ((p(x)\alpha u_1 \cdot v+p(x) \beta u_2 \cdot v +q(x) \alpha \frac{d u_1}{dx} \cdot v+q(x) \beta \frac{ d u_2}{dx}\cdot v \right) dx## which after re-arranging gives

However, I am not sure I understand the concept of symmetry in this case that it is not symmetric?

You just need to show that B(u,v) ≠ B(v,u), aka showing that it is not true that B(u,v)=B(v,u)
There's nothing more than plugging in involved here, what is it exactly you're having problems with?

bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

genericusrnme said:
You just need to show that B(u,v) ≠ B(v,u), aka showing that it is not true that B(u,v)=B(v,u)
There's nothing more than plugging in involved here, what is it exactly you're having problems with?
Is ##B(v,u)## to be written in the form ##B(\alpha v_1+\beta v_2,u)##?

I don't get the idea of interchanging the vectors since ##u \cdot v= v \cdot u##...?

bugatti79 said:
Is ##B(v,u)## to be written in the form ##B(\alpha v_1+\beta v_2,u)##?

I don't get the idea of interchanging the vectors since ##u \cdot v= v \cdot u##...?

You've already shown that it's bilinear so you now only need to show that it's not symmetric;
Since you're only trying to show that B isn't symmetric you don't need to bother about plugging linear combinations in, you only need to compare B(u,v) with B(v,u).

If B is symmetric, by definition, B(u,v) = B(v,u). You want to show that this is not the case.

For example;
Take [itex]A(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 [/itex] then
[itex]A(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 = y^2 + x^2 = A(y,x)[/itex]
So A is symmetric

Take [itex]C(x,y) = x - y[/itex] then
[itex]C(x,y) = x - y = -(y-x) = -C(y,x)[/itex]
So C is NOT symmetric (if something has this property [itex]C(x,y) = - C(y,x)[/itex] it's called 'skew-symmetric')

Take [itex]D(x,y) = 2x + y[/itex] then
[itex]D(x,y) = 2x + y ≠ 2y +x = D(y,x)[/itex]

Or you could even say, if F is symmetric then [itex]F(x,y) - F(y,x) = 0[/itex]
then you'd get
symmetric;
[itex]A(x,y) - A(y,x) = x^2 + y^2 - y^2 - x^2 = 0[/itex]
skew-symmetric (a subset of 'not symmetric');
[itex]C(x,y) - C(y,x)= x - y - y + x) = 2x - 2y = 2C(x,y)[/itex]
not symmetric
[itex]D(x,y) - D(y,x)=2x + y - 2y -x = x - y ≠ 0[/itex]

I know these are pretty simple examples but can you see the idea I'm trying to convey here?

Actually, I just missed that last part so I guess the above was a little pointless -.-

if you look at B, there's another dot product which WILL change if you interchange u and v

Last edited:
genericusrnme said:
Take [itex]D(x,y) = 2x + y[/itex] then
[itex]D(x,y) = 2x + y ≠ 2y +x = D(y,x)[/itex]

This conveys the idea very nicely thanks. I have one quick question before I look at it properly tomorrow and apply it to the original question.

Why do you write ##D(y,x)=2y+x##?
I would have thought that ##D(y,x)=y+2x##?
Isn't one just interchanging the variables?

bugatti79 said:
This conveys the idea very nicely thanks. I have one quick question before I look at it properly tomorrow and apply it to the original question.

This is just basic function evaluation. If D(x, y) = 2x + y, then D(y, x) = 2y + x. The '2' coefficient goes with the first argument of the function, which in D(y, x) is y.

bugatti79 said:

nono, if I have [itex]D(x,y) = 2x + y[/itex] I'm pretty much saying 'take two times the first argument and add one times the second argument', using this [itex]D(y,x)[/itex] says 'take two times y and add one times x' which is 2y + x

Mark44 said:
This is just basic function evaluation. If D(x, y) = 2x + y, then D(y, x) = 2y + x. The '2' coefficient goes with the first argument of the function, which in D(y, x) is y.

genericusrnme said:
nono, if I have [itex]D(x,y) = 2x + y[/itex] I'm pretty much saying 'take two times the first argument and add one times the second argument', using this [itex]D(y,x)[/itex] says 'take two times y and add one times x' which is 2y + x

Thanks guys, that I didn't know..or perhaps it slowly crept out of my memory! I will look at the rest when I can.

bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Show that ## \displaystyle B_1(u,v)=\int_a^b (p(x) u \cdot v + q(x) \frac{du}{dx} \cdot v)dx## is NOT symmetric

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

## \displaystyle B_1(u,v)=\int_a^b (p(x) u \cdot v + q(x) \frac{du}{dx} \cdot v)dx \ne \int_a^b(p(x) v \cdot u+q(x) \frac{dv}{dx} \cdot u)dx=B_2(v,u)##..ok?

Related to Bi Linear Functionals and Symmetry

1. What is a bi-linear functional?

A bi-linear functional is a mathematical function that takes two vectors as input and returns a scalar value as output. It is linear in both of its arguments, meaning that it follows the properties of linearity such as additivity and homogeneity.

2. How are bi-linear functionals related to symmetry?

Bi-linear functionals are closely related to symmetry because they can be used to define the symmetry of a mathematical object. By using bi-linear functionals, we can determine whether an object is invariant under a particular symmetry transformation.

3. Can you give an example of a bi-linear functional?

One example of a bi-linear functional is the dot product in linear algebra. It takes two vectors as input and returns a scalar value by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then summing them together.

4. How is the symmetry of a bi-linear functional determined?

The symmetry of a bi-linear functional is determined by its properties under permutation. If the function remains unchanged when the order of its arguments is switched, it is said to have symmetry.

5. What is the significance of bi-linear functionals in physics?

In physics, bi-linear functionals are used to describe physical systems that exhibit symmetry. They are also important in understanding the conservation laws of energy, momentum, and angular momentum, which are all related to symmetry properties of physical systems.