Between O- and F- which has higher electron affinity?

In summary: This is because the added electron will experience a greater repulsion from the existing electrons since the size of the atom is small. In summary, the stability of the electron configuration before adding one more electron should not be considered when determining the electron gain enthalpy. The electronic affinity of Oxygen is greater than that of Fluorine because Oxygen needs one more electron to become stable, while Fluorine is already in a stable configuration. Additionally, the second electron gain enthalpy for both Oxygen and Fluorine is positive, meaning both require more energy to take in another electron. However, since Fluorine has a smaller atomic size, it will require more energy to accommodate the added electron, making it more difficult to gain an electron compared to
prakhargupta3301
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
O-- 2s2 2p5
F-- 2s2 2p6 (Fully filled hence more stable.)
Since F- is fully filled as compared to O- wouldn't it require more positive electron gain enthalpy to gain one more electron than O-?
upload_2018-7-11_23-19-59.png

However, the correct answer is given (A)
Please tell me how.
Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-11_23-19-59.png
    upload_2018-7-11_23-19-59.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 957
Physics news on Phys.org
prakhargupta3301 said:
Since F- is fully filled as compared to O- wouldn't it require more positive electron gain enthalpy to gain one more electron than O-?
Don't think in that way.

##O^{-}## requires one more electron to complete its stable configuration of [Ne]. On the other hand, ##F^{-}## already has the stable electronic configuration. So, it will not want to accept one more electron.

So, the electronic affinity of ##O^{-}## is greater than that of ##F^{-}##.

When thinking about electronics affinity, you will have to consider which species will become more stable after the addition of one more electron. The stability before the addition of electronic should not be considered.

Likes prakhargupta3301
Wrichik Basu said:
Don't think in that way.

##O^{-}## requires one more electron to complete its stable configuration of [Ne]. On the other hand, ##F^{-}## already has the stable electronic configuration. So, it will not want to accept one more electron.

So, the electronic affinity of ##O^{-}## is greater than that of ##F^{-}##.
But isn't that the exact same reason why putting an electron in F- absorb higher amount of energy than O- will? Am I correct?

prakhargupta3301 said:
But isn't that the exact same reason why putting an electron in F- absorb higher amount of energy than O- will? Am I correct?
I've added a small explanation at the end:
Wrichik Basu said:
When thinking about electronics affinity, you will have to consider which species will become more stable after the addition of one more electron. The stability before the addition of electronic should not be considered.
Does that help?

Wrichik Basu said:
Don't think in that way.

No one has ever told me that before. Can you also tell me why that is so?

prakhargupta3301 said:
No one has ever told me that before. Can you also tell me why that is so?
You're also forgetting that electronics gain enthalpy is the amount of energy released on addition of one electron to a species. Released, not absorbed. ##O^{-}## will release energy, whereas ##F^{-}## will require energy to take in one more electron.

If any species becomes unstable after taking in one more electron, it will try not to do that. ##F^{-}## already has stable configuration. Why would it disturb itself unnecessarily? ##O^{-}## requires one more electron to be stable, so it will readily do that.

Likes prakhargupta3301
Wrichik Basu said:
You're also forgetting that electronics gain enthalpy is the amount of energy released on addition of one electron to a species. Released, not absorbed. ##O^{-}## will release energy, whereas ##F^{-}## will require energy to take in one more electron.

If any species becomes unstable after taking in one more electron, it will try not to do that. ##F^{-}## already has stable configuration. Why would it disturb itself unnecessarily? ##O^{-}## requires one more electron to be stable, so it will readily do that.
But isn't the second EGE always positive, so for O- and F- both will be positive. Hence energy is absorbed.
Also, since F- is more stable, it would require more energy to take one more electron. So..

Regarding this:
Wrichik Basu said:
Yes it will readily do that, but the energy (+ve hence absorbed) will be lesser. Isn't that the whole point?
Sorry if I'm bugging you, but I think there is something I still miss.
THank you for taking such great pains.

So higher positive EGE is actually lower negative EGE? Is that it?
THank you.

My mistake :headbang:

Yes, you're right. The second EGE of both Oxygen and Fluorine are positive. Both need more energy to take in one more electron. For oxygen, the size is small, and hence, another electron has to be pushed into the atom forcibly.

But fluorine has a higher second EGE than oxygen, making it more difficult (that is, more energy has to be supplied) to accommodate one more electron.

Related to Between O- and F- which has higher electron affinity?

1. What is electron affinity?

Electron affinity is the amount of energy released when an electron is added to a neutral atom to form a negatively charged ion.

2. How is electron affinity measured?

Electron affinity is measured in units of energy, such as kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) or electron volts (eV).

3. Which element, O- or F-, has a higher electron affinity?

F- has a higher electron affinity than O-. This is because fluorine has a smaller atomic radius and a higher nuclear charge, making it easier for an electron to be added to its outer energy level.

4. What is the trend of electron affinity in the periodic table?

Generally, electron affinity increases as you move from left to right across a period in the periodic table. This is because the atomic radius decreases and the nuclear charge increases, making it easier for an electron to be added.

5. Is electron affinity always a positive value?

No, electron affinity can be either positive or negative. A positive electron affinity means energy is released when an electron is added, while a negative electron affinity means energy is required for an electron to be added.