Which substance can act only as a reducing agent?

• Thread starter merovingian12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Act
In summary: The counterintuitive part is that the less reactive an element is, the more reactive it is with atmospheric oxygen - even though it's not in its standard state.
merovingian12

Homework Statement

Which substance can act only as a reducing agent?
I2
BrCl
NaBr
HIO4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If a substance oxidizes something, the substance itself becomes reduced (gains electrons.) Halogens have high electron affinities and accept electrons readily, so I eliminated iodine and the bromine-chlorene compound immediately.

The acid can oxidize metals (the metal would undergo a single replacement reaction with the hydrogen ion, producing hydrogen gas,) so I eliminated that one as well.

This leaves sodium bromide, which is the correct answer. However, wouldn't a metal more active than sodium, e.g. potassium, be oxidized by the acid? As far as I can tell, all four substances can act as oxidizing agents...

Physics news on Phys.org
merovingian12 said:
wouldn't a metal more active than sodium, e.g. potassium, be oxidized by the acid?

I don't see an acid in NaBr. Please try to write a reaction equation to elaborate on what you mean.

I'm sorry, that was a typo. I know that NaBr is a salt. What a meant was a reaction like

NaBr + K ---> KBr + Na

Technically you are right - in such reaction Na+ would be an oxidizer. But it would need pretty exotic conditions, I am not convinced it is possible at all.

Would it really need exotic conditions? If I remember correctly, as one goes down Group 1, the metals become more active. So wouldn't the reaction happen spontaneously, since potassium is higher on the activity series than sodium?

I doubt it will react easily if you will just mix both solids, and I can't think of any solvent that would be able to both dissolve salt and survive contact with metallic potassium. Perhaps liquid ammonia.

I'm sorry to bring back the thread, but I've been thinking about this and I still don't understand it. as far as I can tell, solid potassium metal should be oxidized by the sodium ion... so what is the problem? Is it that potassium is so reactive that it wouldn't last long enough to react with sodium, i.e. react with something else?

The only information I've been able to find in textbooks and other sources is that potassium is a "more active metal," which suggests that a single replacement reaction should occur - so why is it impossible?

merovingian12 said:
solid potassium metal should be oxidized by the sodium ion... so what is the problem?

Two things. First is strictly technical. To see if they react you would need metallic potassium, mixed with NaBr, kept isolated from the air and moisture so that potassium doesn't react with other things, kept in an inert vessel able to survive temperature needed to melt NaBr (747°C), as otherwise reaction would happen only on the surface and would be very slow. That's what I meant by exotic conditions - you can't just mix them in the test glass to see what happens.

Then there is a question whether K and NaBr will really react. Reactivity is based on standard reduction potentials. Table of reduction potentials assumes every substance is in its "standard state" - and lists values based on this assumption. However, standard state means room temperature and more or less 1M solution. Conditions we need (see above paragraph) have nothing to do with the standard state - so we can't simply use the standard potential table to predict the outcome.

Let me give you an example of the counterintuitive chemistry - not directly related to the sodium/potassium thing, but showing how a simplified approach can be misleading. Gold is very inert, and doesn't react with oxygen - everyone knows that. However, gold oxidation with atmospheric oxygen is a part of a popular process used in gold mining. How come?

If you put a piece of gold in the solution of cyanides, atmospheric oxygen will oxidize gold and gold will dissolve (this is a process known as gold cyanidation). That's because complex of gold with cyanides is so stable it shifts the equilibrium of the reaction

4Au + 8NaCN + O2 + 2H2O <-> 4Na[Au(CN)2] + 4NaOH

far to the right.

So you see that simply applying "reactivities" to real chemical processes can be misleading.

Related to Which substance can act only as a reducing agent?

1. What is a reducing agent?

A reducing agent is a substance that causes another substance to undergo reduction, which involves the gain of electrons. It is also known as a reductant.

2. How does a reducing agent work?

A reducing agent works by donating electrons to another substance, causing it to become reduced. This transfer of electrons allows the reducing agent to become oxidized in the process.

3. Can any substance act as a reducing agent?

No, not all substances can act as reducing agents. A substance must have a higher affinity for electrons than the substance it is reducing in order to effectively donate electrons and cause reduction.

4. What are some examples of reducing agents?

Some common examples of reducing agents include metals such as zinc and magnesium, as well as compounds like hydrogen gas and carbon monoxide. Other substances like sodium borohydride and sodium cyanoborohydride are also commonly used as reducing agents in chemical reactions.

5. Why is it important to know which substance can act only as a reducing agent?

Knowing which substance can act only as a reducing agent is important for understanding and predicting chemical reactions. It can also help in designing and optimizing chemical processes and reactions in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals and manufacturing.