Beta radiation and Alpha radiation

In summary, beta particles are emitted from a radioactive material and are stopped by a thicker layer of aluminum. These beta particles can be dangerous if they are absorbed by the material they are stopping.
m_p_w
This might be a very stupid question :(, but I am confused.

So I did an experiment.
we had radioactive material which was emitting beta particles, and we were using geiger counter to measure pulses (ionized beta particles). We were supposed to measure the time it takes for the geiger counter to reach 1000 pulses and time difference by adding aluminum foils (thicker aluminum foil = longer time).

I am confused about two things,
-How it is possible that aluminum foil is able to stop beta particles? (what happens to beta particles in aluminum(are they just reflected from aluminum nucleus or can they become also outer-shell electron of aluminum atom, can beta particle get ionized in the aluminum foil (steal an electron from aluminum atom)?

-Are ionized beta particles dangerous? (ionized alpha particle are not because they become helium, what happens with beta particles?)

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Beta particles aren't "ionized". They are "ionizing", perhaps that's what you mean. But alpha particles are ionized, they're helium atoms with a +2 charge - bare nuclei.

Your beta particles are probably electrons - "beta minus" (might be positrons, I doubt it). You seem to be thinking, incorrectly, they're protons - which would be ionized (+1). An electron hitting aluminum ... I suppose it becomes an outer-shell electron, making a +1 ion, which would soon get lost. Overall, aluminum will acquire a negative charge from beta radiation, soon lost to the environment.

Any such radiation, alpha or beta, will hurt you in sufficient quantities. For one thing they're pretty fast (carry energy and momentum), also they ionize atoms of your flesh. Both these things are disrupting. Obviously your lab experiment is designed to be safe - I hope - by involving a very small amount of radiation and/or appropriate shielding.

secur said:
Beta particles aren't "ionized". They are "ionizing", perhaps that's what you mean. But alpha particles are ionized, they're helium atoms with a +2 charge - bare nuclei.

Your beta particles are probably electrons - "beta minus" (might be positrons, I doubt it). You seem to be thinking, incorrectly, they're protons - which would be ionized (+1). An electron hitting aluminum ... I suppose it becomes an outer-shell electron, making a +1 ion, which would soon get lost. Overall, aluminum will acquire a negative charge from beta radiation, soon lost to the environment.

Any such radiation, alpha or beta, will hurt you in sufficient quantities. For one thing they're pretty fast (carry energy and momentum), also they ionize atoms of your flesh. Both these things are disrupting. Obviously your lab experiment is designed to be safe - I hope - by involving a very small amount of radiation and/or appropriate shielding.

So aluminum would acquire a beta particle (and loose it to the environment as free electron), and not just bounce it off to different directions?

I suppose many would get absorbed, giving the aluminum negative static-electricity charge, while some simply bounce off. But, sorry, others know those details much better than I do, so let them answer. I can say that such static electricity wouldn't be dangerous.

Sure, ##\beta## radiation (electrons) are partially absorbed by material like a aluminium foil.

Not sure what the mean free path of an electron in air at STP is but I assume it is short. Dusty room even shorter.

Every time a radioactive particle interacts with an atom, eg by ionising it, the energy needed to ionise the atom is lost from the particle and as a result the particle loses energy and slows down
. Eventually the particle will have lost so much energy that it becomes non ionising and in effect we can say that it has reached the end of its range. The denser the medium through which the particle travels the greater the number of collisions per unit length and the shorter the range.

secur said:
Obviously your lab experiment is designed to be safe - I hope - by involving a very small amount of radiation and/or appropriate shielding.
One thing I can read from the web, and is unsurprising to me, that free electrons would be stopped by a few millimeters of aluminum. Basically shielding wouldn't be hard at all, at worst it is probably a trip costing 2$ at least to the supermarket and back.

Related to Beta radiation and Alpha radiation

1. What is the difference between Beta radiation and Alpha radiation?

Beta radiation is a type of radiation that consists of high-speed electrons, while Alpha radiation is made up of alpha particles, which are essentially helium nuclei.

2. How are Beta and Alpha radiation produced?

Beta radiation is produced when a neutron decays into a proton and an electron. Alpha radiation is produced when an atom's nucleus emits an alpha particle, which is made up of two protons and two neutrons.

3. Which type of radiation is more harmful to humans?

Alpha radiation is generally more harmful to humans because it has a higher ionizing power and can cause more damage to living tissue. However, the level of harm also depends on the type of exposure and the duration of exposure.

4. What is the range of penetration for Beta and Alpha radiation?

Beta radiation has a relatively short range and can be stopped by a few millimeters of aluminum or a few centimeters of air. In comparison, alpha radiation has a much shorter range and can be stopped by a sheet of paper or even the outer layer of skin.

5. What are some common applications of Beta and Alpha radiation?

Beta radiation is commonly used in medical treatments, such as radiation therapy for cancer. It is also used in industrial applications, such as measuring the thickness of materials. Alpha radiation is often used in smoke detectors and in the production of nuclear power.