Is there such a thing as a gamma particle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of gamma rays and particles, with one person pointing out that a gamma particle is essentially a photon. The other person asks about the relevance of a linked article about washing machines, to which the first person explains that the article mentions gamma particles being detected by Geiger counters.
swampwiz
OK, I understand that a gamma ray is just an electromagnetic wave, and so a gamma particle could be a photon, but somehow I think that the author here is not being that sophisticated:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...ing-machines-learning-to-play-the-harp/594706
An early example of a device that communicated data through sound was the Geiger counter. Invented in 1908 to measure ionizing radiation, it makes an audible snap to signal the presence of alpha, beta, or gamma particles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, a gamma 'particle' is just a photon. Also, why is there a link to an article about washing machines in your post?

Likes vanhees71 and Vanadium 50
Drakkith said:
Yes, a gamma 'particle' is just a photon. Also, why is there a link to an article about washing machines in your post?
Because that's the article that mentioned "gamma particles" being picked up by Geiger counters, and thus is the reason I'm asking this question.

swampwiz said:
Because that's the article that mentioned "gamma particles" being picked up by Geiger counters, and thus is the reason I'm asking this question.

Ah, so it is. My apologies for not reading through the article.

Related to Is there such a thing as a gamma particle?

1. What is a gamma particle?

A gamma particle, also known as a gamma ray, is a type of high-energy electromagnetic radiation that is emitted from the nucleus of an atom. It is the most energetic form of electromagnetic radiation and has no mass or charge.

2. How are gamma particles produced?

Gamma particles are produced through a process called gamma decay, which occurs when a nucleus releases excess energy in the form of a gamma ray. This can happen during radioactive decay or in high-energy collisions between particles.

3. Can gamma particles be harmful?

Yes, gamma particles can be harmful to living organisms. They have high levels of energy and can penetrate through materials, including human tissue, which can damage cells and DNA. However, they are also used in medical treatments such as radiation therapy.

4. Do gamma particles have a wavelength or frequency?

Yes, gamma particles have both a wavelength and frequency, just like all forms of electromagnetic radiation. However, their wavelengths are extremely short (less than 10^-11 meters) and their frequencies are extremely high (greater than 10^19 Hz).

5. How do scientists detect gamma particles?

Scientists use specialized equipment, such as gamma ray detectors, to detect and measure gamma particles. These detectors can detect the high-energy radiation and convert it into an electrical signal, which can then be analyzed and studied by scientists.