Best Vibration Books for Asian Mechanical Engineering Students

In summary, the conversation was about a student seeking advice on which vibration books would be best for an undergraduate Mechanical Engineering student in Jakarta, Indonesia. Some suggestions were given, including the Thomson book which was not highly recommended, and the recommendation to review Dynamics first if struggling with the subject material. The Tse book was also suggested as a good option.
rudi_arman
Hi everyone,

I am an undergraduate student of Mechanical Engineering in Jakarta, Indonesia.

I’ve found all of these Vibration books in my library:

Vibration for Engineers, 2nd Ed.
by Andrew Dimaragonas
Prentice Hall

An Introduction to Mechanical Vibrations, 3rd Ed.
by Robert F. Steidel
John-Wiley

Vibration Problems in Engineering, 5th Ed.
by W. Weaver, Jr., S. P. Timoshenko, D. H. Young
John-Wiley & Sons, 1990

Mechanical Vibrations - Theory and Application to Structural Dynamics, 2nd Ed.
by M. Géradin, D. Rixen
John-Wiley, 1997

Principles and Techniques of Vibrations
by Leonard Meirovitch
Prentice Hall, 1997

Theory of Vibration with Applications, 5th Ed.
by William T. Thomson, Marie Dillon Dahleh
Prentice Hall, 1997

Can anyone here, especially a same as Mechanical Engineering student, give me any advices and suggests regarding all of above Vibration books in which best to learn for Asian student like me?

Please send me your valuable suggestion

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've had the Thomson book for a Mechanical Vibrations class and felt it was next to useless. The feeling was shared by my classmates. It is a very comprehensive textbook, but written more for someone who is reviewing the concept rather than learning it the first time.

If you're in an undergraduate course in Vibrations the best book for you to go through is a Dynamics textbook. You might be amazed how much that review can help with the subject material.

See if you can get mechanical vibrations by Tse. It's an old text, so you should be able to get it cheap.

Related to Best Vibration Books for Asian Mechanical Engineering Students

1. What are the key concepts covered in the best vibration books for Asian mechanical engineering students?

The best vibration books for Asian mechanical engineering students cover key concepts such as single degree of freedom systems, free and forced vibrations, modal analysis, and vibration control techniques.

2. Are there any recommended books specifically for Asian mechanical engineering students?

Yes, there are several books that are highly recommended for Asian mechanical engineering students, such as "Vibration of Mechanical Systems" by Alok Sinha and "Mechanical Vibrations: Theory and Applications" by S. Graham Kelly.

3. Can these books be easily understood by non-native English speakers?

Yes, these books are written in a clear and concise manner, making them easy to understand for non-native English speakers. Additionally, many of these books are available in translated versions in languages such as Chinese and Japanese.

4. Are there any practical examples or case studies included in these books?

Yes, many of the best vibration books for Asian mechanical engineering students include practical examples and case studies to help illustrate the concepts and principles discussed in the book. This can be especially helpful for students to apply their knowledge to real-world scenarios.

5. Can these books be used as a self-study resource or are they better suited for classroom use?

These books can be used as both a self-study resource and as a classroom textbook. They are designed to be comprehensive and easy to follow, making them suitable for individual study. However, they can also be used in a classroom setting with the guidance of a professor or instructor.