Best UK Universities for Physics & Engineering

In summary, the best universities in the UK for physics and mechatronic engineering (aside from Cambridge and Oxford) are Durham University and Imperial College London. According to the Times Online ranking guide, the top 10 universities for physics in the UK are: 1) Cambridge, 2) Glasgow, 3) Oxford, 4) Durham, 5) Imperial College, 6) Sheffield, 7) Birmingham, 8) St Andrews, 9) Southampton, and 10) Aberdeen. The guide also mentions that Imperial College is highly regarded for mechanical engineering.
dr_nic
Best UK universities?

I'm planning to go on a student exchange to a UK university next year. I'm studying physics and engineering at the moment but the focus of my exchange will be for physics.

I was wondering what are the best universities to go to in the UK for 3rd year physics (and mechatronic engineering) aside from Cambridge/Oxford?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Durham University and Imperial College London are very good for physics. Imperial is amazing for Mech. Eng. arguably as good if not better than Cambridge. Not sure if that includes Mechatronics though. I'd say go to Imperial if you can't get into Cambridge and perhaps even if you get a place at Oxford.

And yes check the guide cygni suggested. Its the best one around I believe.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check the guide.

1 Cambridge 3.3 559 86% 85% 100
2 Glasgow 3 403 85% 86% 94.9
3 Oxford 2.8 551 79% 86% 94.6
4 Durham 3 528 84% 77% 94.1
5 Imperial College 3 523 78% 84% 93.9
6 Sheffield 3 392 87% 81% 93.5
7 Birmingham 2.9 458 88% 74% 93.3
8 St Andrews 3.3 483 79% 79% 92.9
9 Southampton 2.7 452 85% 80% 92.1
10 Aberdeen

This is the top ten for physics in the UK according to the times online ranking guide.

Surprised to see Glasgow as number 2. Allways assumed Oxford would be number 2.

Last edited:

Related to Best UK Universities for Physics & Engineering

1. What are the top universities for studying physics and engineering in the UK?

The top universities for studying physics and engineering in the UK are the University of Cambridge, the University of Oxford, Imperial College London, University College London, and the University of Edinburgh. These universities consistently rank highly in international rankings and have strong reputations in these fields.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a university for physics and engineering?

When choosing a university for physics and engineering, it is important to consider factors such as the university's reputation in these fields, the quality of its faculty and research facilities, the curriculum and course offerings, and the opportunities for hands-on experience and practical application of knowledge.

3. Are there any specialized programs or concentrations within physics and engineering at these universities?

Yes, many of these universities offer specialized programs or concentrations within physics and engineering. For example, the University of Cambridge has a dedicated Department of Engineering and offers specialties such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and materials science. Imperial College London has a Department of Physics with specialties in astrophysics, particle physics, and theoretical physics.

4. What kind of job opportunities are available for graduates of these universities with degrees in physics and engineering?

Graduates of these universities with degrees in physics and engineering have a wide range of job opportunities available to them. They may work in industries such as aerospace, telecommunications, renewable energy, and healthcare, or pursue careers in research and academia. Many of these universities also have strong connections with industry partners, providing graduates with networking and job opportunities.

5. What kind of support and resources do these universities offer for students studying physics and engineering?

These universities offer a variety of support and resources for students studying physics and engineering. This can include access to state-of-the-art research facilities and equipment, opportunities for internships and research projects, mentorship from faculty members, and career services. Additionally, many universities have student organizations and clubs specifically for students in these fields, allowing for networking and collaboration with peers.