Best Source for Science News/Commentary

In summary, the person is looking for a science/physics news source that not only reports important news but also provides commentary on the significance of the news. They mention that they often have trouble understanding the importance of news articles and are wondering if science blogs would be a good source for this type of commentary. Recommendations are made for websites such as Physics Forums, PBS (specifically their programs NOVA and NewsHour), and Scientific American. However, caution is advised when using science blogs as sources.
DukeLuke
Hi, I'm looking for a science/physics news source that reports important news and provides commentary on it. I'm really looking for a place that will explain the importance of what is happening. I realize this is subjective, but I find that many times I read science news and don't understand what its importance is(maybe I'm just slow). For example the article will describe a new discovery without explaining its possible applications or how it may spark research in a new area/way. Or explain that x amount of money is granted or taken away without commenting on what effect this might have. I'm wondering if science blogs would be a good way to get this commentary. Can anyone recommend places where I can find this, or am I just blind to the implications of the news?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might try asking about any particular news item at this link.
https://www.physicsforums.com/index.php

Also, you could check PBS for any related information.
http://www.pbs.org/

In particular they have a program called NOVA that covers many interesting science topics. You could also check the NewsHour [PBS] for any related coverage. They often provide relatively in-depth coverage of science news.

Scientific American is an excellent resource.

You have to be careful with blogs as you have no way to know if the information presented is highly biased or not. Note that we don't allow science blogs as scientific references. PBS isn't a scientific resource, but the stories often focus on credible sources, and PBS has a long and respected history of excellence and accuracy in journalism.

Last edited:

I can understand your frustration with not fully understanding the implications of science news. It is important to have a reliable source that not only reports on important discoveries and developments, but also provides insightful commentary on their significance.

In my experience, science blogs can be a great way to get this type of commentary. Many science bloggers are experts in their fields and can provide in-depth analysis and perspective on current events in science. However, it is important to make sure that the blog you are reading is reputable and backed by scientific evidence.

Another option is to look for science news websites or publications that have a dedicated commentary section. These sources often have experts or scientists who contribute their insights and opinions on the latest news and developments in their respective fields.

In addition, I would recommend following scientists and science communicators on social media platforms. Many of them share their thoughts and opinions on current events in science and can provide valuable insights.

Overall, it is important to seek out multiple sources and perspectives when trying to understand the implications of science news. This will help you gain a well-rounded understanding of the topic and its potential impact.

1. What is the Best Source for Science News/Commentary?

The best source for science news and commentary can vary depending on personal preferences and the specific topic of interest. Some popular and reputable sources include ScienceDaily, Scientific American, and National Geographic.

2. How can I stay updated on the latest science news?

There are a few ways to stay updated on the latest science news. You can follow reputable science news sources on social media, subscribe to their newsletters, or set up Google alerts for specific keywords related to your interests.

3. Is it important to fact-check science news sources?

Yes, it is important to fact-check science news sources. Science is constantly evolving, and there may be conflicting studies or new information that may change the conclusions of a previous study. It is important to refer to multiple sources and check the credibility of the source before accepting information as fact.

4. Can I trust science news from social media?

While social media can be a quick and convenient way to access news, it is not always the most reliable source for science news. It is important to verify the source and information before sharing or accepting it as fact. It is recommended to refer to reputable science news sources for accurate and verified information.

5. Are there any specific science news sources for children?

Yes, there are science news sources specifically catered towards children such as Science News for Students and National Geographic Kids. These sources use language and visuals that are easier for children to understand and can help spark their interest in science.