Best software solutions for Language translations?

In summary: Google Translate can translate text, but it's not very good at translating audio files or movies. You could try using a different translation app or using a different translation service.
mech-eng
What are the best software solutions for language translations? Is Google Translate the most advanced one? I heard about Babylon. Is there anyone who uses it? Can they share their experience with Babylon? In the past I tried some but the sentences translated by them was wrong. I will give feed back to this thread in the future when I try them again.

Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Translation in what context, and using what devices (processors, resources)?

Text to text? Text to Voice? Voice to Text? Voice to Voice?

Running on PCs or smartphones or other embedded devices?

Likes mech-eng
From my (admittedly limited) experience, I think it will be hard to beat Google translate. They have put a huge amount of resources into it.

Last edited:
Google is really good for short sentences but as your text gets longer it doesn’t work as well. For Chinese, sometimes it can’t distinguish between words and people’s names. This is probably true for other languages as well. It’s a very hard problem in Computer Scince and I think the use of big data is helping but isn’t a perfect solution.

Likes mech-eng
berkeman said:
Translation in what context, and using what devices (processors, resources)?

Text to text? Text to Voice? Voice to Text? Voice to Voice?

Running on PCs or smartphones or other embedded devices?

Even though this question applies to all, I am generally interested in PC services and text to text..

What skills does it require to do our own software for txt to text in PCs and smart phones?

Thank you.

I guess for text translation there are no 100 % good apps. For the rest google translate seems to be a king.

mech-eng said:
What skills does it require to do our own software for txt to text in PCs and smart phones?

Thank you.
Your best strategy would be to piggyback on google using a google developed api or your own to submit queries and receive answers from google.

Cosmodi said:
I guess for text translation there are no 100 % good apps. For the rest google translate seems to be a king.

What kind of translations can Google do other than text translations? How can I translate an audio book or dvd movie with Google Translate?

Thanks

Related to Best software solutions for Language translations?

1. What are the most important factors to consider when choosing a language translation software?

When choosing a language translation software, it is important to consider the accuracy and quality of translations, the supported languages, user-friendliness and ease of use, pricing and compatibility with different devices and platforms.

2. How do I know if a language translation software is reliable?

A reliable language translation software should have a high accuracy rate, provide consistent and fluent translations, and have positive reviews from other users. You can also look for certifications or partnerships with reputable organizations in the language industry.

3. Are there any free language translation software options available?

Yes, there are free language translation software options available. However, it is important to note that the accuracy and quality of translations may not be as reliable as paid options. Some popular free options include Google Translate, Bing Translate, and DeepL.

4. Can language translation software be used for professional documents?

Yes, there are language translation software specifically designed for professional use. These software often have advanced features such as translation memory and terminology management to ensure accurate and consistent translations for business and legal documents.

5. Is it possible to translate multiple languages at once with language translation software?

Yes, many language translation software have the ability to translate multiple languages at once. However, the accuracy and quality of translations may vary depending on the software and the languages being translated. It is best to check the capabilities of the software before use.