Best Social Philosophy: What Do You Think?

• Thread starter ComputerGeek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Philosophy
In summary: There are many different philosophies that can be used to create a political theory. Well, I understand that you can not use these as a political philosophy. Perhaps I should have said "What philosophy is best to build a political theory on." There are many different philosophies that can be used to create a political theory.

What philosophy is best to run a society?

• Idealism

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Realism

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Pragmatism

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Existentialism

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ComputerGeek
Which Philosophy do you think is best to run a society on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, you left out some big ones, like Objectivism !

pragmatism, obviously.

Existentialism. Face it, this is all you got.

Except for existentialism, these are all epistemologies. None of the four are political philosophies. You should explain exactly how one would run a society based on one of these schools of philosophy.

loseyourname said:
Except for existentialism, these are all epistemologies. None of the four are political philosophies. You should explain exactly how one would run a society based on one of these schools of philosophy.

Bah. *beats self for not catching that*

Good job.

loseyourname said:

Umm... actually, each has an epistemology wing, a metaphysical wing, an axiology wing and a Logic wing.

ComputerGeek said:
Umm... actually, each has an epistemology wing, a metaphysical wing, an axiology wing and a Logic wing.

How does idealism have a metaphysical wing?

franznietzsche said:
How does idealism have a metaphysical wing?

Idealists would say that reality is a manifestation of the spiritual world.

ComputerGeek said:
Idealists would say that reality is a manifestation of the spiritual world.

Idealism is an ontology that says nothing but ideas exist, but how do you run a society based on this tenet? You haven't really answered the question. Given that none prescribes any kind of ethics, and therefore any course of action, what are the implications of each for how a society that believed in them would operate?

I'm not asking this to antagonize you. I'm the philosophy forum mentor and it's my job to try and clarify discussions that are muddied in the initial post.

And yeah, I meant to say these are all metaphysics, not epistemologies; just mixed up the words. Sorry about that.

loseyourname said:
Idealism is an ontology that says nothing but ideas exist, but how do you run a society based on this tenet? You haven't really answered the question. Given that none prescribes any kind of ethics, and therefore any course of action, what are the implications of each for how a society that believed in them would operate?
I'm not asking this to antagonize you. I'm the philosophy forum mentor and it's my job to try and clarify discussions that are muddied in the initial post.

Well, I understand that you can not use these as a political philosophy. Perhaps I should have said "What philosophy is best to build a political theory on."

Related to Best Social Philosophy: What Do You Think?

1. What is the best social philosophy?

The concept of "best" is subjective and can vary depending on individual beliefs and values. However, some popular social philosophies include utilitarianism, social contract theory, and Marxism.

2. How does social philosophy impact society?

Social philosophy provides a framework for understanding and evaluating social issues and policies. It can influence how societies function and how individuals interact with one another.

3. What are the key principles of social philosophy?

The key principles of social philosophy often revolve around ideas of justice, equality, and individual rights. It also considers the role of government in creating a just and fair society.

4. How has social philosophy evolved over time?

Social philosophy has evolved over time as societal values and beliefs have changed. For example, the concept of individual rights and equality has become more prominent in modern social philosophies compared to older philosophies that focused on the greater good of the community.

5. How can we apply social philosophy in our daily lives?

We can apply social philosophy in our daily lives by critically examining societal issues and policies and considering how they align with our personal values and beliefs. We can also use social philosophy to guide our actions and interactions with others, striving to create a more just and equitable society.