Best second introduction to Mehanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for books on mechanics that cover Lagrangian and Hamiltonians, with a focus on books with answer keys and at an appropriate level for advanced undergraduates. Suggestions include Landau & Lifschitz, Goldstein, and Marion's Classical Dynamics.
pivoxa15
For a first introduction, I remember a lot of you suggested An introduction to mechanics [by] Daniel Kleppner [and] Robert J. Kolenkow. But what about a second introduction with Lagrangian and Hamiltonians? I think I have heard of books like that by Goldstein and Ayra but they don't have answer at the back of the book. Anyone recommend a book that have many answers and is not too advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486696901/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Greenwood has "answers to selected problems".

Landau & Lifschitz has some useful worked problems, but the book is at a pretty high level. Goldstein accuses them of handwaving a lot, but I prefer to think of their arguments as elegantly concise, at least when I can follow them.

There used to be a Schaum's Outline on Theoretical Mechanics by Spiegel (one of the better Schaum's writers). I don't know how this differed from the current Schaum's on Langragian Dynamics by a different guy. Check out some of http://www.bookfinder4u.com/OutOfPr...sher=&isbn=&binding=&dj=&fe=&sg=&currency=USD. Pretty silly for a book printed on cheap pulp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marion (I think the title is Classical Dynamics) covers the material you are looking for, and most of that in Goldstein, at an advanced undergrad level. His book has been a standard for 3 or 4 generations of students. Any edition from 2nd onwards should work well for you.

Related to Best second introduction to Mehanics?

1. What is the best way to introduce mechanics to someone new to the subject?

The best way to introduce mechanics to someone new would be to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. This can include introducing concepts such as motion, forces, and Newton's laws of motion. It is important to use real-life examples and hands-on activities to help make the subject more relatable and easier to understand.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in mathematics to understand mechanics?

While having a strong background in mathematics can certainly be helpful in understanding mechanics, it is not necessary. Many concepts in mechanics can be explained and understood using basic algebra and geometry. It is more important to have a good grasp of fundamental concepts and be able to apply them in problem-solving.

3. How can one improve their understanding of mechanics?

Practice and repetition are key to improving one's understanding of mechanics. Solving problems and applying concepts learned in class to real-world scenarios can help solidify understanding. Additionally, seeking out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or consulting a teacher or tutor can also be helpful.

4. What are some common misconceptions about mechanics?

One common misconception is that mechanics only applies to objects in motion. In reality, mechanics also deals with the forces acting on objects at rest. Another misconception is that mechanics is only relevant in the field of physics. In fact, mechanics is used in a wide range of fields such as engineering, biology, and even sports.

5. How can mechanics be applied in everyday life?

Mechanics can be applied in many aspects of everyday life, from simple tasks such as walking and driving a car to more complex tasks such as building structures or designing machines. Understanding mechanics can also help in making informed decisions, such as understanding the forces acting on an object to prevent accidents or predicting the trajectory of a moving object.