Best route for electrical engineer

In summary, the person is interested in pursuing research and development with their degree and is considering graduate school. They have heard that having a background in physics is beneficial for creating new and improved components and processors in the field of EE. However, the speaker suggests that most of the time, one can study up on the necessary physics during graduate school. They recommend pursuing a minor in physics with a major in EE for those interested in the physics side of EE, as a double major may require too much work with little benefit. The person is happy with this suggestion and thanks the speaker.
jaydnul
I definitely want to do some kind of r&d with my degree so I am planning on graduate school. Now I've heard that you need some kind of physics along with ee to do the real new development type of stuff, kinda like creating new and improved components and processors ect. Doesnt engineer mean to create something new anyways? So what would be the best route: double major in ee and physics then a masters in ee. Or just bsee and later msee. Or just focus on physics and not ee.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know who told you that you need extra physics to be able to make new stuff. Certainly having extra physics might allow you to create things that other EE majors wouldn't have the background to be able to create, but I think most of the time you would just study up on the physics you need once you get to grad school.

That said, if you're interested in the more physics-y side of EE, which it sounds like you are, I'd suggest doing a minor in physics with a major in EE. Having the physics definitely won't hurt, and it'll be interesting, but I think going all the way to a double major is too much work for too little benefit.

Cool, just the answer is was looking for. The minor in physics does sound a lot less stressful haha. thanks

Related to Best route for electrical engineer

1. What is the best route for becoming an electrical engineer?

The best route for becoming an electrical engineer typically involves obtaining a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from an accredited university. Some individuals may also choose to pursue a Master's degree for more advanced career opportunities.

2. Are there any specific courses or majors that are recommended for aspiring electrical engineers?

Yes, courses in math, physics, and computer science are highly recommended for those interested in becoming an electrical engineer. Majors in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or a related field are also beneficial.

3. Is it necessary to obtain a professional license to work as an electrical engineer?

In most cases, yes. Most states require electrical engineers to obtain a professional license in order to practice. This typically involves passing an exam and meeting certain education and experience requirements.

4. What skills are important for a successful career as an electrical engineer?

Some important skills for electrical engineers include strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and proficiency in technical software and tools. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other professionals.

5. Are there any specific industries or areas of focus that electrical engineers can specialize in?

Yes, there are many industries and areas of focus that electrical engineers can specialize in, such as power systems, telecommunications, electronics, or control systems. It is important for individuals to research and choose a specialization that aligns with their interests and career goals.