Best material for diffusing moisture into a closed vessel?

In summary, the conversation discusses suggestions for materials that can be used to diffuse moisture into a vessel for a re-humidification project. The individual has tried wooden reed diffusers, folded paper towels, and is considering using flat pieces of reed. They are also seeking suggestions for mold-proof materials and potential improvements to the project.
eryksd
Anyone have any suggestions on other [mold-proof] materials that might be good to diffuse moisture (distilled water) into a vessel?

For a project, I am trying to create a re-humidification vessel to re-humidify certain materials that have dried out, and am trying to think of the best material that A) Requires no batteries or moving parts and B) Won't succumb to mold.

Here are some of the things I've tried and some ideas:

The most natural thing that comes to mind is simply dipping those wooden reed diffusers that are used to diffuse scents, into a glass of water, and keeping it in the vessel... though it seems to be on the slow side in diffusing moisture (relatively low surface area).

I've tried folding over a paper towel in origami-like fashion, and then dipping one side into a glass of water and leaving it in the closed vessel. That diffused moisture very rapidly, but developed mold as well after a few days.

The next thing I'm thinking of trying is getting a flat piece of reed (like those used to play clarinet, for example) and using a few of those. Larger surface area, and natural mold-proof construction. Just might be on the expensive side to buy a bunch of those clarinet reeds, and they are short, lowering surface area.Any suggestions on mold-proof materials for diffusing moisture, or perhaps how to make this project better? I can post pictures if need be.

Many thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
eryksd said:
Anyone have any suggestions on other [mold-proof] materials that might be good to diffuse moisture (distilled water) into a vessel?

For a project, I am trying to create a re-humidification vessel to re-humidify certain materials that have dried out, and am trying to think of the best material that A) Requires no batteries or moving parts and B) Won't succumb to mold.

Here are some of the things I've tried and some ideas:

The most natural thing that comes to mind is simply dipping those wooden reed diffusers that are used to diffuse scents, into a glass of water, and keeping it in the vessel... though it seems to be on the slow side in diffusing moisture (relatively low surface area).

I've tried folding over a paper towel in origami-like fashion, and then dipping one side into a glass of water and leaving it in the closed vessel. That diffused moisture very rapidly, but developed mold as well after a few days.

The next thing I'm thinking of trying is getting a flat piece of reed (like those used to play clarinet, for example) and using a few of those. Larger surface area, and natural mold-proof construction. Just might be on the expensive side to buy a bunch of those clarinet reeds, and they are short, lowering surface area.Any suggestions on mold-proof materials for diffusing moisture, or perhaps how to make this project better? I can post pictures if need be.

Many thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

If you disinfect all of the surfaces of everything before starting the process, and use sterile water (or maybe distilled water), do you still get mold?

Related to Best material for diffusing moisture into a closed vessel?

1. What is the best material for diffusing moisture into a closed vessel?

The best material for diffusing moisture into a closed vessel is a semi-permeable membrane, such as polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) or polyethylene (PE).

2. How do semi-permeable membranes work for moisture diffusion?

Semi-permeable membranes allow smaller molecules, like water vapor, to pass through while blocking larger molecules, like liquid water. This allows for controlled moisture diffusion into the closed vessel.

3. Are there any other materials that can be used for moisture diffusion?

Yes, there are other materials that can be used for moisture diffusion, such as activated carbon, silica gel, and molecular sieves. However, these materials may not provide as precise or efficient diffusion as semi-permeable membranes.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a material for moisture diffusion?

When choosing a material for moisture diffusion, factors such as the size of the vessel, the desired rate of diffusion, and the properties of the substance being diffused should be considered. It is also important to ensure that the material is compatible with the contents of the closed vessel.

5. Can the same material be used for both moisture diffusion and gas diffusion?

Yes, some materials, such as PTFE, can be used for both moisture diffusion and gas diffusion. However, other materials may be more suitable for one type of diffusion over the other. It is important to consider the specific needs of the closed vessel when choosing a material for diffusion.